1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Questions for a current/past GTPer

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by natbar, Feb 21, 2011.

1. natbar

natbar New commenter

Hi All
    I have a few questions that are bugging me! I've just got on the GTP yay! now I have to go and have interviews with partnership schools, which is very nerve wrecking...not sure what to expect???
    First of all, the truth about work load is it really as bad as they say it is?!
    How many GTPers later get employed at their training school?
    What should I expect at a school interview? Will I be required to teach a lesson? (primary 3-7)
    How many schools should I apply to? I was thinking 6 as they are partner schools and so are expecting our applications
    What should I expect from a school visit prior to application?
    What type of school would you say is the most beneficial in your training, a larger 2 form entry school or a very rural setting? I've had lots of experience in a large inner city school (london) already so I was thinking a rural school would give more of a contrast.
    Thanks in advance for your help, sorry for so many questions I'm sure you all had similar worries once upon a time!! lol
    Nat x

2. <font size="2">Wow ... a lot of questions ...</font><font size="2">First, workload: YES, there is a lot to do! I'm doing the secondary GTP at the moment, and I spend most of my time during the week on "teaching things" and then try to have at least one day a week (or weekend) for "GTP things". The main thing that everyone says (everyone says it, but not everyone achieves it) is to stay on top of all your paperwork and evidence. Find a system that suits you and stick to it; if it means forcing yourself to stay late one night a week to sort through a tray of paperwork and classify it into the different standards then do it. I tend to have to play catch-up in the holidays (like now) or reading weeks, but have improved since the beginning of the course when I did next to nothing on my folders due to always planning/marking etc.</font><font size="2">It is, however, a manageable amount of work. I have little free time now - but that doesn't mean that I have NO free time.</font><font size="2">The GTP has a good rate of success in terms of immediate employment, but it obviously varies from region to region so I'd check with your provider. My provider always collates the information and uses its near-100% success as a big selling point - I think about 60% of people last year were subsequently taken on by their lead school, with a fair number of the others going to the second school.</font><font size="2">As for the school interviews ... again, it varies hugely from region to region. I went along and had a chat with my lead school. I was all prepared to have to teach a lesson etc, but I simply sat down with a deputy head and after 5 mins she said something along the lines of "well, you've already been interviewed so this is just a case of making sure you don't have two heads"!! I had to ask to go and meet the head of department and my proposed mentor. That was the only school I went to. That seems to be how it happens through my provider, but yours could be different - so check with them.</font><font size="2">What is the best setting? I think you're on to something regarding a contrast. If possible, aim for a contrast between your lead and second placement. It makes "reflection" a lot easier and purposeful. A school with clear systems in place, whole school policies, a strong SLT and an overall appreciation of training and development is ideal. The key thing, however, is a good mentor. If you get the feeling that your mentor is looking forward to easy year as they won't have teach as many lessons then run a mile ... being a mentor has its benefits, but you want someone who is going to be able to help you. If you get on with them personally then that helps massively too, but that's going to be hard to tell from just one meeting/interview. </font><font size="2">Well done for getting on the course and good luck in your search for a school!</font>

3. Aaarghhh!! What happened to my paragraphs?? They were there before I hit submit, I promise!!
    Hope you manage to make your way through that!
    TES Forums - please introduce and EDIT button!

4. natbar

natbar New commenter

Thank you so much for all that info!! It's so hard to find out info such as employment rate after the GTP, I scoured through this forum last night for a good hour or so before I wrote that post.
    Thanks again for answering
    Nat x

5. Hi Nat
    I've got a place with West London Partnership to do Primary GTP this coming September. They told me that 95% of students last year got jobs, of which 75% were in their lead school.
    Given the spending cuts etc that may well change for next year...
    Good Luck!
    Clive

6. natbar

natbar New commenter

Congrats Clive!
    Those stats sound good, just have to see how it goes I suppose.
    Do you have to find your own school, with ours they have the schools allocated but you have to compete with others to gain the position. So lots of school visits and hopefully interviews. Just keeping my fingers crossed that I get a school placement or the GTP place means nothing! I'm doing mine at Canterbury (CCCU)
    Nat x