1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Questions asked in a Maths Teacher Interview

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by hartless, May 20, 2011.

1. What are the most popular questions that are asked at an interview for a Main Scale Maths interview?

2. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

I remember being asked "What's the point of differential equations?" in my first ever interview. I didn't get the job.

My second interview was at a secondary modern in Essex where the furniture dated back to Mr Chips and the resource cupboard contained only a Christmas tree. I was asked "Why are you withdrawing from the interview?". I told them.

3. Are you willing to be Head of Music or RE within a year of joining us?

4. What qualities do you bring to the role?
    Why do you want to be a Mathematics teacher?
    How do you engage disaffected students?
    Be prepared for a question on safeguarding too.

5. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Tell me about a good lesson you have taught.
    Tell me about a bad lesson you have taught.
    If I observed one of your lessons how would I see that progress is being made.

6. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

Most popular one round our way is:
    When can you start...?

7. I always ask something like: "Why do you think students should study Maths?" or "Why do you decide to teach Maths rather than subject X?" Maybe I'm a bit odd, but if the answer is something about how useful maths is for the workplace, etc., I tend to see that as a big negative.

8. I don?t see how that could possibly be negative as maths is used, at least implicitly, in virtually every work situation and is absolutely essential for many jobs/professions, although I can think of one or two other equally important reasons. Agreed that you might be looking for something a little more original for why someone chose to teach maths.

9. I can see those as reasons for learning maths but not for teaching it!

I was asked to convince the interviewer that I had a love of/passion for maths.

10. Shock, horror... [​IMG]
    ... hold the front pages! [​IMG]

11. Maths is seen as quite a dry subject. How would you make it engaging for students?