1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Questions and advice needed for teaching A2 and AS AQA art

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by raincloud, May 1, 2012.

1. Hi, I have taken on a group of yr 12 and 13 students who are preparing for their art exam using the AQA sylabus. I haven't taught KS5 art for several years and I'm trying to get my head around the different sylabus. (we taught OCR when I last taught it)
    I know the AS exam is an investigation into the question and so the final piece doesn't neccessarrily need to be a completed pieces - is that correct? Would it be better if it was a competed piece? One student is unlikely to complete her painting in the five hours - is it ok for her to sketch out the design before the five hours and then do the actual painting in the 5 hour exam period?
    In terms of teaching units 1 and 3 next year can people give me some ideas of the best way to structure it? I thought about the yr 12 doing workshops to develop skills and techniques under a theme, which will build up to more independent work as final pieces. Is this ok? Should it be less (or more) teacher led? How much independance should they have?
    For A2 I would hope the students would have more independent ideas but this may not be the case. How much direction should I give? Should they all follow indevidual themes or should I give them an umbrella theme and they take that in their own direction. Finally, what themes are best to use? they seem to have done the figure in yr 12 and self portrait in yr 13 which seems a little repetative to me but obviously worked for the previous staff.
    I would appreciate any advice, thanks.

2. Hi, I have taken on a group of yr 12 and 13 students who are preparing for their art exam using the AQA sylabus. I haven't taught KS5 art for several years and I'm trying to get my head around the different sylabus. (we taught OCR when I last taught it)
    I know the AS exam is an investigation into the question and so the final piece doesn't neccessarrily need to be a completed pieces - is that correct? Would it be better if it was a competed piece? One student is unlikely to complete her painting in the five hours - is it ok for her to sketch out the design before the five hours and then do the actual painting in the 5 hour exam period?
    In terms of teaching units 1 and 3 next year can people give me some ideas of the best way to structure it? I thought about the yr 12 doing workshops to develop skills and techniques under a theme, which will build up to more independent work as final pieces. Is this ok? Should it be less (or more) teacher led? How much independance should they have?
    For A2 I would hope the students would have more independent ideas but this may not be the case. How much direction should I give? Should they all follow indevidual themes or should I give them an umbrella theme and they take that in their own direction. Finally, what themes are best to use? they seem to have done the figure in yr 12 and self portrait in yr 13 which seems a little repetative to me but obviously worked for the previous staff.
    I would appreciate any advice, thanks.