1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Questions about teaching abroad...?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by jessicaGGG, Mar 4, 2016.

1. jessicaGGG

jessicaGGG New commenter

Hi everyone! I'm a primary school teacher and it has always been my dream to teach abroad in Asia (I lived there when I was younger so I am in love with the culture, food, weather etc !) and I had a few questions about the best way to do it...

Firstly, I am married. My husband it keen to relocate with me, but he would be looking for a job once we get there most likely (unless he manages to find something in the same place as the school I hopefully end up working in!!). Would a school employ me and provide housing for us both normally?

Secondly, what is the general system for maternity leave? I am not planning on having a baby in the next 5 years (as I am only 25) so it is not on my imminent radar but I am just curious about what a teaching contract might look like? Let's say I start working in an International school in 2017 and work there for 5 years before becoming pregnant.. would there be any provision for maternity leave in the contract or would it be bye-bye contract?!

If anyone who has experience of working in Thailand/ Singapore/ Malaysia etc I would really appreciate any advise at all about where/how to apply and what is usually included in the job package. Or any advise at all about relocating!!!

Thanks in advance
    Jessica G

2. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

The long and short of it is that it will depend on the school. As a general rule (more of a guideline actually), the bigger/better the school, the better/more generous/more comprehensive their benefits package will be.

A decent to great school will certainly have some type of maternity provision in the contract. Will it be equivalent to what you expect in your home country? Probably not, but you should be able to expect to have some benefit including getting your job back.

As for housing, I would immediately reject and school that did not offer housing, travel and visas for you and your husband.

As a disclaimer, I have lived and worked in Japan and China but have traveled to the countries you mention and communicated widely with teachers who have worked for a range of schools in other countries in Asia. Possibly someone with more first hand information will come along.

jessicaGGG likes this.
  3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

According to a local legend, some misguided people contact an ancient and smelly swamp-dwelling beast that lumbers around this forum.

4. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

My school seems to be full of teachers having babies at the moment. The school is really supportive and as far as I know you get a good amount of maternity leave with your job waiting for you when you are ready to come back. It's certainly not a problem at my school. Local health care here is really good and everyone I know who has had children here seems to be very happy. It's a great city/country to raise kids in. If you're married your husband will get a visa if you're offered a job. I don't know whether he'd be able to work unless the visa was changed to a work visa. Here in Taiwan I don't think that's a huge problem. Not sure about the places you listed. Good luck!

jessicaGGG and the hippo like this.
  5. sprite

sprite New commenter

I'd agree with posters above--don't accept any contract that doesn't cover visas, flights, relocation, and housing.

If you're interested in Malaysia and Singapore, have you considered Brunei? The pace of life is much slower, but it's a very safe place to live and there are a couple of good international schools there, in addition to the government scheme, CfBT. And if you need excitement, Malaysia is an easy weekend trip.

This is a dumb question, but there are often recruiting fairs for qualified teachers who want to go overseas; have you attended any of these?

I loved teaching overseas, but I was in the ESL racket which is not as good as deal as teaching in International schools.

jessicaGGG likes this.
  6. jessicaGGG

jessicaGGG New commenter

Thank you very much for all your help! its certainly a comfort to know as I am so keen to teach in Asia and don't want to get stuck here for the sake of something like maternity pay security!!

Sprite- I havnt considered Brunei.. but i will now! Thanks for the advice. I havnt attended any recruitment fairs as a lot of them seem to only be open to teachers who have already taught Internationally.. but I will do some more research as it certainly seems like a good way.

Thanks all!

7. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

jessicaGGG, yes, it is true that your first jobfair can be a bit intimidating and of course a lot of the candidates will have been teaching in international schools for a fair while. That, of course, is one of the great advantages of going to a jobfair, as it gives you a marvellous opportunity to meet lots of other international teachers and compare notes. It is great to meet someone who really is currently teaching in a country (or even in a particular school) where you want to get a job.

The Search fairs are pretty good, but I do not know much about the other ones.