1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Questions about supply

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by foxeestole, Dec 5, 2011.

1. I am on supply and have always contributed to my pension.

I would think carefully about leavint a permanent job for supply though as to be honest there is no work!!!

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

If you're so desperate you have no option but to leave then obviously you need to do that and you have until Feb 28 2012 to hand in your notice forleaving your post at Easter.
    HOWEVER, I too urge extreme caution and advise yo to leave handing your notice in as late as possible in case things should improve.
    You definitely can not expect to earn a living from supply and if you have monthly outgoings you really need to consider other options.
    Only (as far as I'm aware) if you work directly through your LA will you be able to contribute to pension. But I'm in rural South and I haven't had a sing;e day's supply since last July!

3. It's not a survivable way of life anymore. It used to be - now there's no work out there, the agencies are treating us worse than ever (demands to work for free, demands to go to bookings for 1 hour, lots of bullying and armtwisting... and that's before you enter the hell of needing a different CRB to pick yer nose from scratching yer butt - at your own expense).
    If you're in a post - hang onto it - seriously - supply teaching as a way of life is over.

4. Hi. Interesting advice. I have been on supply for many years and since July have had no work. However to make things worse my LEA have written to me to advise they have taken me off their list and I need a new CRB before they can put me back on because I have not worked for them for 3 months. It's a little annoying as they want £60 and there is no guarantee that in another 3 months the same thing won't happen, there is just not the work any longer to rely on keeping current if a period of 3 months is enough to have you taken off the list and your CRB cancelled (it was only done in Feb. of this year) Have contacted a private agency, they want another £45 for a CRB and again no guarantee of work although they indicate they should be able to find me some( but at what pay rate??).