1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Questions about SEARCH (London fair, etc.)

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by MyLastDuchess, Dec 22, 2017.

1. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

What is the recruitment fair called that starts on the 15 Jan. 2018 in London?

2. SineField

SineField New commenter

As with so many things in life it boils down to....

"Is a bird in the hand worth two in the bush?"

For someone really keen to bag their first international post this year, is a not ideal job offer in Jan worth more than the possibility of something better in March/Apr?

Tricky for anyone I think....

3. jmatindae

jmatindae New commenter

totally agree with this!..keep an open mind at the fair!

4. ChaiLattePlease

ChaiLattePlease New commenter

Let me know how you get on at the fair. I cut it too fine to go, so have definite FOMO!

5. ebonyslimmm

ebonyslimmm New commenter

Hi all, I have one or two questions about Search Associates, would it be possible to email one of you privately?

I would be eternally grateful!

6. ChaiLattePlease

How was it?

7. cellerdore

cellerdore Occasional commenter

I have used search before and think that the best way to apply to jobs is to actually go to the schools website and apply there. Many of the schools will get 100s of applicants as all it takes is for you to click once. Once I started going to their websites once I saw a job was advertised, I found that many had their own application procedures. As I started completing these, I got offers for interviews straight away, in which they would then look at my search info.

Good luck!

rouxx and sabrinakat like this.
  8. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Exactly as above - use Search as a database to find out where to apply and see if you are interested at all. Apply directly to the school, often it is just a CV and a cover letter, you have the CV ready and the cover letter is a matter of being very specific to the school - mention Search and the schools then have access to your references etc straight away. I was chased up by the schools pretty sharpish doing it that way around.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  9. masty88

masty88 New commenter

What should be included in the cover letter? Is it like a personal statement? How many sides of an A4 paper should it be? Thanks

10. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Look on the school website/recruitment page to see what they want. Then do what they tell you to do.

11. masty88

masty88 New commenter

Most schools that I have seen on TES jobs simply ask for a c.v. with a covering letter, that's why I ask. I'm assuming they want more than a c.v. with a simple letter?

12. MyLastDuchess

MyLastDuchess New commenter

So, I had three offers at the fair, all to great European schools, and I left with a contract for my dream job/location.

The fair was so much fun! Also, it was not the negative experience my friends and forums told me to expect.

ejclibrarian and ChaiLattePlease like this.
  13. ChaiLattePlease

Congratulations - that's brilliant!