1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Questions about SEARCH (London fair, etc.)

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by MyLastDuchess, Dec 22, 2017.

1. MyLastDuchess

MyLastDuchess New commenter

So, I've registered with SEARCH. I've been an "active" member for a month now, and plan to attend the January fair.

I've only had three Skype interviews so far, though (I am not interested in those schools). I've sent out MANY messages to schools within the SEARCH database, most of which received no response. From what I understood, the "most desirable" candidates would be snapped up before the fair, or at the very least would be locked into interview times on the first day of the fair well in advance.

Did I leave it too late? Does anyone have advice about how to go about this?

Also, has anyone had experience getting a job at the SEARCH fair? Were you contacted by the school prior to the fair?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

I'm not in a shortage subject...

2. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Occasional commenter Forum guide

Sometimes schools contact candidates before the fair; sometimes not. You have to be thick-skinned in the Search world, but you are likely to get a job offer so hang in there!

3. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Established commenter

This will tell you something, you also have no international experience. Honestly some of these positions do get 100's of applications. As @roamingteacher said, you need to be "thick skinned" in this game.

Best of luck

4. SineField

SineField New commenter

I'm going to the fair too, but in all honesty I've always believed I would be a bit like the 'kid who gets picked last at football' when it came to my first international job. I have zero international experience, zero IB experience and not as much actual relevant teaching experience as other candidates..... and I DO teach a shortage subject(s)!!

5. MyLastDuchess

Actually, dumbbells, I DO have international experience: 7 years at two schools. This is the first time I've used SEARCH, though.

6. SecondPlace

SecondPlace Occasional commenter

Some schools will complete recruitment before the fair and may not have any positions available, some won't. Some will wait until the fairs are done to make offers, some won't. Some will make offers at the fair, some won't. Some will respond to you reaching out, some won't. Some will reach out to you, some won't.

You get the idea...

Keep contacting the schools you are interested in and keep an open mind at the fair. The fairs are quite a fluid situation so be prepared for that pressure.

Also, I wouldn't waste yours, or the schools, time on interviews - at the fair or on Skype - for schools or positions you aren't interested in.

7. MyLastDuchess

Thanks, SecondPlace. I'm very torn about interviewing with schools that don't really interest me because I don't know if I'm being too choosy. I want to go somewhere with clean air and a package as good as the one at my current school. The schools who respond to me are in locations that are polluted and/or unsafe, or have poor packages. I'm wondering how low I will need to go...and I am regretting the choice to move on now.

8. dumbbells66

Appologese @MyLastDuchess, i just presummed you were new to this.

We are all looking for the "clean" "nice" country with a good "package", the whole world is chasing that dream.

I have over 10 years IB experience, in a VERY shortage subject, i work directly for the IB as a workshop leader, school visit member etc and yet i have not been able to get a job in "clean, nice country that pays well"....even though i have been trying for years.

Something will have to give.

Best of luck.

9. dumbbells66

Where do you consider "unsafe" or "dirty".... where are offering you interviews?

10. SecondPlace

When I attended the London Search fair a few years ago I decided that I would rather walk away than accept something that I wasn't entirely happy with. Of course, for everyone what you're happy with is different.

But making that decision lifted a weight off my shoulders. It would have been a lot of time and money down the drain, but I figured there was too much at stake to compromise too much.

Things worked out, but knowing that walking away with nothing was an option I might choose helped me at the time. I have known people get good jobs as late as May.

It depends on your circumstances and a whole host of factors of course. I wish you luck in making the best and right decision for you.

11. MyLastDuchess

Multiple schools from China are contacting me: I won't go there. I'm also not interested in the schools located in big Indian cities, or Pakistan and similar. I'm not interested in Emirates that aren't Dubai or Abu Dhabi. I would prefer Europe, and I'm currently at a school in Western Europe with a package that appears to be better than most offered by the majority of the schools on the SEARCH list, but even the European schools with poorer packages are not responding to my messages (and I WOULD go to some of those).

12. MyLastDuchess

SecondPlace, do you think it would be a bad idea to just plan to take a term or year off if I don't get an offer I like? I would be open to doing this, but that would then create a gap in my CV. I just don't know how it would look if I were to apply to schools from a state of unemployment?

13. dumbbells66

Have you considered Eastern Europe? Better packages available due to the fact they will pay for accommodation etc, and some pretty awesome countries.

Check out CEESA.org as they have some very good schools in their association.

14. MyLastDuchess

Yeah, I sent a message to an Eastern European school posting on SEARCH for my subject, but...no response. I would love to work in one of those schools.

15. MyLastDuchess

I know I might be a bit unreasonable and prima donna-ish about this. I should not have given up my current job.

Do the best European jobs normally go after January? How about Dubai and Abu Dhabi (my other picks)?

16. SecondPlace

@MyLastDuchess - regards time off I would suggest that you need to weigh up if you can afford to do it and then balance that against the option of being somewhere you don't want to be for 2 years. A year off can be explained away in many ways.

With your current job - presumably you had for reasons for not wanting to continue there. Those reasons are still valid.

This is a difficult and scary time, but there's a whole world out there and sometimes places that are unfamiliar and perhaps a little 'scary' sounding can be great places to live.

17. lottee1000

lottee1000 Occasional commenter

I'm in Eastern Europe and my school will be publishing positions in the next few weeks, as will our big local rival. Recruitment is nowhere near done, we've only advertised (and filled) positions which have been created by growth or people who handed in notice very early in the year. Don't lose heart, Europe is still in full recruiting mode!

18. MyLastDuchess

Thanks, Lottee. I also sent you a PM...

puggerchris likes this.
  19. karel

karel Occasional commenter

I'm also in Eastern Europe. My school has done all the recruiting already apart from one position that they are struggled to fill. We don't have a lot of turnover though, so never many openings to be filled. They are mainly done and dusted by the Christmas break. There are other schools in the region though still advertising now on Search and TES.

20. karel

karel Occasional commenter

Schools in Western Europe could still have vacancies not even yet known about, sometimes up to as late as end of April. So its certainly not over with in Europe at this point.