1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Questions about Malaysia

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by polarbearlars11, Jun 18, 2020.

1. polarbearlars11

polarbearlars11 New commenter

Hey guys, hope you can help me.

Questions for those working in Malaysia or who have worked.

I have worked in China, Myanmar and Morocco in international schools and COVID made me realise maybe it was time to move on from China. I've got some questions about this

I've been offered a job that pays 3000 pounds a month before tax, I'm aware of the almost 30% tax rate for first six months. This is in KL.
    There is no housing offered, but I am offered family insurance, flights etc. I will also continue to do some freelance work online that will pay around 1000 pounds a month on top. So we are looking at about 4000 [the freelance could be up and down.]

Firstly, I'm traveling with my Chinese wife. She has excellent English and has a Masters in Marketing from the UK. Will she be able to find work in central KL do you think? I'm aware she'd need a visa, is that tough if she's only had 4 years work experience in marketing?

Would we need a car? I've seen some long term leasing for about 1500 RM a month for a small car, is that what many people do? When I visited uber seemed so cheap.

How is that package? Let's assume my 1000 is going towards savings and paying for further education in the UK, would 3000 be enough for us? Housing looks to be around 500 pounds a month.

My wife and I do not drink. I am essentially wondering if 3000 pounds a month before tax is enough for us two to live without drinking, clubbing, going to bars etc?

Thanks.

2. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

We lived as a family on that, our rent came out of that also. We didn't save anything but the EPF. Buy a car, it's a great country to drive in except for the crazy tailgaters.

3. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

Yes you can live very comfortably on that. It's not great but it's good. Can your wife find work? Yes. Will she? No idea. It can be a battle or it can be easy and there is a lot of luck and right time, right place. She can certainly earn some money though teaching Mandarin or even English on the informal economy.

4. lucyrose50

lucyrose50 Occasional commenter

That's plenty of money for a couple to live on. Depending on the size of home you want, rent is more likely to be around 600 pounds a month, depending on where you live and the age/quality of the flat.
    Don't lease a car, you're just throwing money away - if you only want a small car, you can buy a brand new Perodua Axia from about 4.5k or the larger Bezza for about 6.5k. Obviously second hand is cheaper, but cars hold their value here so there's often not a huge difference between buying new and second hand unless you get a really old one and the peace of mind from getting a new one is worth it. Depending where you live, you may be happy to go without a car. Grab (no Uber here) is cheap and readily available within the city, but if you're going outside the city it can be harder to get one and it can also be very difficult to get one at rush hour or if it's raining. Personally I prefer to have a car but I know people who manage fine without one.

5. HeroForTheDay

HeroForTheDay Occasional commenter

I'd be concerned on if you can get a Visa and Work permit currently. My wife was supposed to start working just before the MCO hit and Immigration shut down and hasn't posted a date about when they're going to reopen and begin processing Work Permits, so she's just waiting around until we find out.

I'd also point out that in some publications, they're pushing for locals to take on more of the jobs foreigners are currently working and that they might not reopen properly for foreigners until the end of the year. I'd check with your prospective HR if you can both get into the country...

https://www.malaymail.com/news/mala...rkers-until-year-end-says-hr-minister/1877884

6. reg_mcledge

reg_mcledge New commenter

The link you've posted here is slightly misleading. Malaysia has a distinction between foreign workers and skilled workers and this article is in reference to foreign workers. These are those who typically come to work in construction and fill many of the jobs Malaysians don't typically want to. Teachers are classed as knowledge workers and this article or policy does not apply to these, as confirmed by our HR dept who've been in contact with the ministry.

What is correct though and is difficult to predict is when new expat teachers will be able to enter the country... An educated guess would most probably be after the CMCO finishes at the end of August.

7. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

Considering expats are (as of today) banned from entering until at least 31 August (some did get permission though so its case by case) then have to undergo 2 weeks quarantine, and the government also rather unhelpfully announced no new work permits will be issued until December (but not clear if they meant just foreign workers or fid they also mean professional visas?) many Malaysian schools are going to have issues with staffing!

It may change, the Malaysian government is changing is mind daily, but the issue is there.

In normal times most spouses don't work unless they teach. Your wife would definitely be able to get work teaching or tutoring Mandarin as that's common. As for marketing work, that is possible in normal times and definitely speaking Mandarin is a plus as most marketing companies are run by Chinese Malaysians and some companies want those with PRC contacts on board.

But these are not normal times and the Malaysian government is waiving the xenophobic flag to distract from UMNOs undemocratic takeover of government.

8. lucyrose50

lucyrose50 Occasional commenter

This isn't accurate - since 1st June Malaysia has been gradually opening up in stages according to the category of visa people hold (hence the situation changing every 1-2 weeks). There are now a number of visa categories, including the ones which most teachers and their dependants are on, which give the right to enter Malaysia without needing to apply for permission. This includes people whose new visa application has already been approved. The latest rules are at www.esd.imi.gov.my if anyone wants to keep an eye on it.

9. sarah969696

sarah969696 New commenter

Hi, I haven’t any answers for your questions, just jumping on the thread if anyone is able to help too please?
    What base salary would you be expecting to get for teaching in one of the better international schools? Accommodation and medical included separately from the salary? If anyone has any idea I’d love to hear from you and appreciate your opinions! Thanks

10. HeroForTheDay

HeroForTheDay Occasional commenter

I should've clarified that his Chinese Missus may not get in due to the above rules. He shouldn't have a problem entering, but with immigration not being open to get a WP I dunno how he could work legally. From what I've gathered Immigration are going to work on the 'backlog' of tier 3 applicants first and then tier 2 and finally tier 1. I suspect you will be right that it will be around the end of August when they open consulates/immigration for expats.