1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Questions about food

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by goonergirl2009, May 23, 2011.

1. goonergirl2009

goonergirl2009 New commenter

I have a couple of questions about babies and food and am hoping you ladies will be able to help.I have left a message for my HV but, as with the previous two concerns I had, nobody has called me back.
    Firstly, how much salt is too much? I don't add salt to food I cook but Charlotte eats cheese/ bread/ pittas etc. and they have salt in so if I give her mostly homecooked things, will she be ok?
    Secondly, do babies need to have the baby pasta? Charlotte has been having it but then I have noticed people talking about giving their LOs pasta spirals so is normal pasta ok?
    Finally, I began with purrees but now Charlotte often has finger foods too. Should I be encouraging her to use a spoon herself when I feed her with one?
    Thank you in advance!
    x

2. goonergirl2009

I have a couple of questions about babies and food and am hoping you ladies will be able to help.I have left a message for my HV but, as with the previous two concerns I had, nobody has called me back.
    Firstly, how much salt is too much? I don't add salt to food I cook but Charlotte eats cheese/ bread/ pittas etc. and they have salt in so if I give her mostly homecooked things, will she be ok?
    Secondly, do babies need to have the baby pasta? Charlotte has been having it but then I have noticed people talking about giving their LOs pasta spirals so is normal pasta ok?
    Finally, I began with purrees but now Charlotte often has finger foods too. Should I be encouraging her to use a spoon herself when I feed her with one?
    Thank you in advance!
    x

3. I would be interested in hearing what more experienced mums have to say about this too. As you know, Gooner, my LO is a bit littler than yours so we have just started solids. But we are BLWing so I have given her everything that we eat, but i do take out or cook separately very salty things like bacon etc.
    I did have a panic today that I shouldn't be given her pasta or the bread that we eat etc, I don't give her any processed or shop bought sort of things except organix snacks like rice cakes etc. so I figure that she's getting a lot of home made things and hopefully not too much salt. I never add salt to her food either.
    Hope I'm not over-loading her with salt either!

4. Hiya, just waiting on my dinner so will be quick!
    Under a gram a day for salt for under one year olds and then a gram a day for over one. I'm like you in that I don;t add salt to LO's food, but he loves cheese and bread, so I don;t give too much of those.
    Baby pasta is gluten free I think - I think there's something about not having gluten before 6 motnhs because of allergies, but don;t quote me on that. I don;t know how old Charlotte is (lovely name, it was one I wanted if we'd had a girl!), but if she's chomping down finger foods, I;m sure adult pasta would be handier for her.
    I started with purees too but gave finger foods with every meal. I tried him with a spoon at around 7 months with very little success, so just gave him one to play with at mealtimes and sometimes gave him a wee bit of food on it for him to practise with. yogurt is not good to start with! He's nearly 10 months now and is lots better, but still spills an awful lot. Practise makes perfect I guess!

Hope this helps! Will look up the salt thing later if I can find my book.

5. So, should I not be giving her bread every day/ almost every meal? Ooops, will have to rethink our meals!

6. Hey gooner,
    I thought it was under 0.1 gram of salt? If it's less than a gram then I have been worring unnecessarily.
    I agree with everything Glitterkid said.
    We now use adult pasta, it's the same thing. Some baby pasta is gluten free because it can cause problems before six months.
    I give Seb a spoon to hold but he isn't interested in trying to feed himself, he just bangs it on his tray. I make sure that he always has some sort of food to pick up and eat as well as his mashed food. The ratio of what he eats is slowly changing and he is now picking up and eating easily as much as he is fed by spoon. I totally encourage this. I would have followed the baby led weaning (maybe with the odd puree) but with Seb's early arrival his fine motor skills weren't up to it at all.
    Can I jump in with a question about yogurts?
    I buy M&S ones or Muller Little Stars and the ingredients are good but is there a limit to how many I should be giving? I give Seb a yogurt after one meal and fruit after the other but then he does sometimes have yogurt for his afternoon snack so it's generally two a day. BUT if he is ever feeling unwell he refuses his food and just blows raspberries to say no. If we offer yogurt he will take it. Is it better for him to have yogurt or nothing at all? I should say that he eats very well usually and rarely refuses anything!

7. Only 'proper' advice re: salt i see is from this:
    Babies under a year old need less than 1g of salt a day, as their kidneys can’t cope with more.
    1 to 3 years: 2g salt a day (0.8g sodium)
    The salt amount is sodium amount multiplied by 2.5.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/salt.aspx

8. Gooner, I can't really help with the salt thing as I have been wondering exactly the same. I think the bread reccomendation is no more than 2 slices, but I may be wrong. LO has totally gone off anything mushed up and doesn't like me feeding her from a spoon so I am struggling to think of filling finger foods that aren't bread based....Tonight I have done a load of roasted veg as someone suggested on another thread so hopefully that will go down well tomorrow.
    Cheese is good for them, but I have no idea how much she should be having. I would say that she has some every day, either a chunk of cheese, philly on toast or something like cauliflower cheese. I don't know if this is too much? Mrs D, I wouldn't have thought that 2 yoghurts would be a problem at all, altho I have a friend who is a total obsessive about sugar and she's always really disaproving of me as I give little stars too and her LO only ever has plain yoghurt.
    I think adult pasta is fine for them, altho Jemima isn't keen! I have been using Heinz Pasta Stars to mix with purees and get her used to lumps but I tried some grown up pasta as finger food and she didn't go for it. I'll keep trying!

9. I just looked up the nutritional values for little stars, as I had avoided them thinking there was sugar in them, but it seems to have sweetness from fruit purees and concentrates, much like the organic baby yogs I buy.

Kingsmill white bread (first brand i thought of) has 0.43 g salt per slice, so if your baby is having 2 slices a day it'll be within the guidelines.

Cheese - 30g of tesco cheddar contains 0.6 g of salt - for an idea of the size, a mini babybel is 20g, so you'd probably have less than that.

Just told my husband about this thread and he has just informed me that he found our baby eating a salt packet [​IMG] from mcdonald's the other week(he said it was under the sofa and the little detective found it)! So maybe it's a good job I;ve been keeping an eye on the salt i give him!!

10. Hi ladies,
    We BLWing too and LO has 'adult' pasta etc, but bread is a bit of a worry. Me and a couple of mum friends are having a bread baking day this week to make a load of salt free loaves. (Although my OH looks like he's been poisoned when he eats our new low-salt diet!) I don't tend to buy 'baby' foods, but Sainsbury's do almost salt free children's pitta breads which he likes and are a handy size and also salt free rice cakes which make a change from bread (LO LOVES toast and would probably have it at every meal - current toppings include avocado or bananas or roasted tomatoes which he very skillfully manages to scrape off...)
    Our LO likes having a spoon to feed himself but he is quite dexterous and always has been (I like to think this makes up for a complete disinterest in rolling, crawling and moving in general!)
    My LO only has plain yoghurt (thick greek stuff) but I can't say he likes it very much, so am tempted by some ones with a flavour - do ones aimed at children have more or less sugar than adult ones?
    Cheese is a big hit here too!

11. Oh and I made some blueberry and prune pancakes (American style) today which went down a treat and are good finger foods. We could start a recipe thread if anyone else is up for it because I sometimes feel like I'm in a big rut!

12. I sometimes give LO natural yogurt with homemade fruit puree in it. There are some organic baby yogurts out there that are sugar free, although now I'm maybe going to look into the Muller stuff.

I get these quite often:
    http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=268269219
    Although Yeo Valley and Rachel Allen also do sugar free baby yogurt. Here in NI I get Glenisk yogurts, not sure if you get them on the mainland, but they have an offer of free car sunshades with three tokens off their packs (sucker for a freebe!)

Good idea to start reciep thread.

13. I give Rachel's yoghurts but now after reading this I am worried that LO has too much salt! I'd say she never has more than two slices of bread a day but if she has two slices of bread and a baby bel that's about all her salt intake for the day isn't it? She's 16 months at the end of this week. We only give fresh and homemade stuff with loads of fruit and salad (and veggies when she decides to eat them!) but she sometimes has a baby meal (e.g. cow and gate steam meals- I'm guessing they must be low in salt?)
    Yes please to the recipes- quick ones please as I work full time at the mo! x

14. goonergirl2009

I was going to do this today- great idea!
    Charlotte is nearly eight months old (how has that gone by so quickly!). It is reassuring that we are all more or less in the same boat with this! I will try Charlotte with the pasta spirals and will check the recipe thread for inspiration! Yogurts-wise, Charlotte usually has the full-fat Greek yogurt with chopped fruit in but not because I am 'anti' baby yogurt. She has had the baby yogurts but seems to like plain just as much. She usually eats a babybel a day (but really most of it ends up squished in her highchair) and a slice of bread a day. Charlotte's way of eating finger foods is to break it, squish it and the eat it but the first two stages often result in significant food loss! Thank you for all your replies!
    x

15. It is really hard- you read so much stuff about what you should and shouldn;t be giving a child- not too much salt, protein twice a day, starchy food, no sugar, not too much fruit- but enough, veg, red meat, dairy...... and I often think people (including myself, no critisism intended) over think things. I saw Fast Food baby and it made me think how good my daughters diet must be compared to them! I often think life must be so much easier for those who just feed their child on jars three times a day... but not as much fun, and more expensive!

I think salt needs to be looked at over a week rather than individual days. Some days may mean a little more salt than others, but provided that isn't a daily thing, is fine every so often as long as the rest of the week is balanced. If it is a more salty day, ensure baby has plenty of water with their meal and go less salty the next day. It can get so easy to become obsessed. Every so often I panic about what my daughter is lacking, but as long as you mix fruit, veg, meat and carbs up through the week- it is fine.
    It does make it easier to plan a week or so, just so you can see amount of salt, and see they di get a variety of food groups and a bit of everything.
    Health visitor made me worry slightly about amount of red meat and if I am giving snacks.

By the time they are 18 and at uni/moving out etc they will probably be living on beans on toast and beer anyway!

16. A recipe thread sounds great!

17. When I first started weaning my daughter I was paranoid about salt. I think you have to keep it in perspective tbh. I remember being in Oxford and seeing a toddler the same age as my daughter (she was 16 months at the time eatinh a mcdonalds in his buggy!). Also our parents generation had salt ADDED to everything. I think the point is that it is not particularly good for anyone and the amounts are probably in proportion to how much a toddler should eat (ie a third as much food, a third as much salt as the adult rda is 6g. Although it isnt very high there is actually an amount that we need. I know someone who has a manual job, sweats a lot in summer and became ill - he went to the doctors and ended up on a supplement! The main thing is that they learn to eat a balanced healthy diet.

18. princessmelody

princessmelody New commenter

I was told at the session on weaning that if it's marketed for children avoid at all costs as it probably has too much salt or sugar! Haven't looked myself yet though. We do a healthy eating unit at school, some versions of cheerios ("wholegrain goodness") has more sugar in than sugar puffs! At least you know what you're getting when sugar is in the title!