1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Questions about e-Safety

Discussion in 'Primary' started by gemmal_manchester2019a, Feb 26, 2020.

1. gemmal_manchester2019a

gemmal_manchester2019a New commenter

We are a group of software engineers currently working on a project involving an educational game to teach children about e-safety. We would really appreciate if you could give us some feedback on our questions we have written(even if you just look at a couple).
    Early years to 7 questions:
    1:Question:If you are asked to do something that makes you feel sad, embarrassed or upset what should you NOT do?
    Answer: Do what they are asking you to do
    2:
    Question:You can get help from a parent or teacher if something makes you feel sad or scared online
    Answer: True
    3:Question:People online can say what they want because they are not saying it in person
    Answer: False
    4.Question:Information that you post online can stay on the internet forever?
    Answer:True
    5.Question:Who should you speak to if you think somebody has made a mistake about putting something online?
    Answer:An adult
    6:Question:Which of these can you NOT use the internet on?
    Answer:Book
    7:Question:Is everything that we see online real?
    Answer:No
    8:Question:What is voice activated searching?
    Answer:When somebody can search something by speaking rather than typing
    9:Question:Which is NOT a way of communicating with people online?
    Answer:Writing a letter
    10:Question:Why might you contact somebody online that you don't know well?
    Answer: Email a pen pal from another school in another country
    11:
    Question:If somebody was being bullied online how would this make them feel?
    Answer: Sad
    12:
    Question:Your friend enjoys uploading videos online. You went to check out his new video and see that someone has commented on the video saying "Ha ha your voice is so weird, stop talking". What should you do to help your friend?
    Answer: Tell an adult
    13:Question:What is NOT an example of appropriate behavior online?
    Answer:Writing mean comments about somebody
    14:Question:What can you do to a piece of work so that people know it belongs to you?
    Answer:Name the piece of work
    15:Question:Which of these is NOT an example of how to stay safe online?
    Answer: Speak to lots of people online
    16:Question:It's important to tell an adult if you see something online that makes you feel sad
    17:
    Question:What is a password?
    Answer:A secret word or phrase that you can use to open your account
    18:
    Question:Which of these can NOT be connected to the internet:?
    Answer:Table
    19:
    Question:Everything I find on the internet belongs to me
    Answer:False

7-11 Questions:

20:Question:What does 'identity' mean?
    Answer:The qualities, beliefs, personality and looks that make up a person or group
    21:Question:Somebody's identity be copied, modified or altered online
    22:Question:People can form an opinion of you by what they have seen online
    23:Question:What is NOT an example of creating a positive online reputation?
    Answer:Not doing anything when you see mean comments on somebody's post
    24:Question:"I think it should be allowed because of the facts". Is this a belief, opinion or a fact?
    Answer:Opinion
    25:Question:You download an app onto a device you share with someone else. It asks for permission to use the camera. What do you do?
    Answer:Ask before you allow the permission, they might not like it
    26:Question:One of your friends has asked you to do something online you are not comfortable with. What do you do?
    Answer:Do nothing and tell a trusted adult
    27:
    Question:Which of these is the strongest password?
    Answer: 0jEy£l4nxqV
    28:Question:'Trusting someone online' and 'liking someone online' mean the same thing.
    29:Question: If you or your friends experience harmful or mean messages online should you screenshot these messages?
    Answer: Yes
    30:
    Question:What is bullying?
    Answer: Behavior that hurts somebody else on purpose,Leaving somebody out on purpose,Spreading rumors, Undermining someone (all correct answers)
    31:
    Question:There is nothing you can do to report online bullying.
    Answer:False
    32:Question:A game has an age rating of 16. What does this mean?
    Answer:Only people over 16 can buy it, but anyone can play it
    33:Question:Is inaccurate information distributed by accident mis-information or dis-information?
    Answer: Mis-information
    34:Question:You can use anything you find online for free.

35:Question: You find a poem you would like to use in some English homework. What should you do?
    Answer: Use it, but put the name of the poet and a link to where you found it
    36:Question:What should you do if your password has been lost or stolen?
    Answer: Change it as soon as you can
    37:Question:What is NOT an example of encouraging people to buy things online?
    Answer: An informative post
    38:Question:When using online accounts it's often safer to use an avatar instead of a profile picture

11-14 Questions:
    39: Question:When a photo or video is shared on the internet, who might be able to see it?

Answer: Anyone
    40:Question:One of your classmates shared a photo of you that you told them not to post. What do you do?
    Answer: Tell the person or an adult why you don't like the photo
    41:Question:Which of these is NOT a sign of online grooming?
    Answer: Somebody liking your profile picture
    42:Question:Coercion is the action of persuading someone to do something by using force or threats.
    43:Question:'What I do online now, won't affect me in the future'
    44:Question:'I'm 12 and want a Facebook account, what should I do?'
    Answer: Ask a parent or guardian if I can create the account
    45:Question:If you see bullying in school or online,I have to give my name if I choose to report it.
    46:Question:What is the 'dis-inhibition effect'?
    Answer: When people or say or do things in a cyberspace that they wouldn't say or do face-to-face

47:Question:Online market places enable small businesses or individuals to do business within a global market
    48:Question:What is a 'social bot'?
    Answer: Something that is programmed to create posts independently
    49:Question:What is a cookie?
    Answer: A small text file placed on your computer by a web server when you view some sites online
    50:Question:What is malware?
    Answer: Any software that is intentionally designed to cause damage to a computer, server or client
    51:Question:Which is NOT an example of illegal access?
    Answer: Cookies
    52:Question:What is plagiarism?
    Answer: Taking somebody else's work or ideas and passing them off as your own
    53:Question:Which of these methods is NOT a way to control social media usage
    Answer: Sharing really important life events
    54:Question:Online content or groups can promote unhealthy coping strategies, what should you do if you see that somebody may be influenced by this content?
    Answer: Tell a responsible adult
    55:Question:What does stereotype mean?
    Answer: A mistaken idea or belief people have about a thing or group that is based upon how they look on the outside

2. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Established commenter

I'm guessing that these are multiple-choice so might make more sense with the incorrect answers.
    However, I'd say that some of the first set of questions are either quite tricky for the age range or a bit vague. In particular, I think the NOT questions might cause problems for particularly younger pupils and those who find reading difficult.

Q21 is missing at least one word. Some punctuation is also erratic.

Maybe I'm being particularly dim but I don't get q23 at all.

I don't like q30 about what bullying - lots of primary schools have issues with children using the word bullying whenever somebody has done something to upset them and have to do a lot of work about what bullying is, do I find some of these options unhelpful.

I also don't like q32 as I feel this implies it is okay for 7year olds to play games rated 16. They are rated 16 for a reason !! I wouldn't be happy about yr3s watching 15 films and I feel the same should apply to games...

Stiltskin likes this.
  3. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

Although I can't see the other answers I'm guessing the answer to 27 is probably wrong. That you are assuming that having a mix of special characters, capital letters, lower case and numbers makes a password strong?
    Password Length is more important, along with the ability of the user to be able to remember it without having to record it somewhere else. It's too do with entropy
    [​IMG]

TheOracleAtDelphi likes this.
  4. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

Agree with the use of not in questions and double negatives. Quick scan through some of them

46 - you should clarify that you are referring to online disinhibition effect (Suler).

40 - answer is wrong
    33- it could be any of those
    3 - ? Ambiguous
    43 - is not that black and white
    32- it's also a recommendation of what age you should be to play it
    21-?

5. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Refuse - SLT can get very funny with people who don't follow orders.