1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Questions about becoming a trainee teacher while doing my degree.

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Lakers93, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Hello, I’m a first year university student studying history and English literature, two days a week, and I want to become a teacher. Are there any teaching programs or internships I can do at the same time for experience, while getting paid? I've heard about PGCE but don't you have to pay for that, rather than getting paid? Many thanks!

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

You cannot begin a postgraduate teacher training course like a PGCE if you do not already have a degree.

Ask your university if they can help you get a volunteer placement in a local school.

If you want to be paid then try and get a TA job.

3. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

why do you want to be a teacher? best spend a bit of time volunteering in a school if you can, to see what it actually means. Be aware that agreeing to take a volunteer or observer in a classroom can be hard work and stressful for a busy teacher, and it might be difficult to get a position, and it might be very short term. We used to take volunteers for a one off three day stretch occasionally, but it added so much to a teachers workload that we now limit it to a maximum of two days per person, and we only accept 3 people a year, and only at certain times of the year.