1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Questions about A-Level examining for a board.

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by josh_birch223, Sep 5, 2018.

1. josh_birch223

josh_birch223 New commenter

Hi I'm not sure if this is the best place to be posting this but I'm an A Level computer science student looking to ask some questions to someone that either does official A-level marking or has in the past. I've posted here because I saw there was a post in the past about AQA examinations and thought this may be a way to access people so apologies if this is not the right place.

If anyone would be able to answer any of there questions for me it would be a massive help!

Thanks,

1. What is the process of marking exam papers?(I.E. How do you access students scripts and submit scores)

2. How long does the process take?

3. How many papers do you mark in an exam period do you think?

4. Do you ever have problems with reading students handwriting

5. Do you think having the students writing translated to a digital text would make marking papers easier by eliminating the need to distinguish what words are written.

2. sophrysyne

sophrysyne New commenter

The process is to apply to a specific board when vacancies arise: some subjects such as English are regularly 'open' but several subjects have pools that are 'closed' -- it depends on the board. You would need to be an experienced and well-qualified teacher; I am not aware of exceptions, but there may be. Once accepted as a member of an examiners' pool, you can then be invited to undertake training when vacancies arise. The workload varies as does the cost-per-script. The easiest question to answer is Q4: if the answer is illegible it's not accepted. Some ICT-Computing assessments are completed on-line.

Prim likes this.
  3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I have no experience of Computing, but I wrote to the exam board my school did for Maths A level offering to mark just about any Maths paper, even though they were not looking for Maths examiners. I was offered Mechanics 2, and have now done it for three years. Everything was online, and some of the scanning was not brilliant so there were parts which were hard to read. I am pretty busy for about a month from when papers first appear online.