1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

questions a headteacher candidate should ask governors at end of interview

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by philosophical, May 15, 2011.

1. Will I have exclusive use of the butler?
    Do I have my own car parking space close to my office?
    Do I have to eat the same as everybody else if I eat in, or is there a special menu just for me?
    Will my heroin habit be a problem?
    How much is the headteachers expenses budget?
    How long do I have to be off before I get a doctors certificate?
    Do you know if there are any staff members with an authority fetish up for a bit of slap and tickle?

2. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Oh how we laughed.

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Bizarrely, I was at one time inexplicably 'pursued' by a junior member of staff with (I assume) just such a fetish. He used to leave presents on my desk and come and lollop about in my secretary's office when I was there, then attempt to follow me back into my room. If successful, he'd attempt to talk to me in a suggestive and inuendo-laden manner.
    I countered it by staring at him wordlessly in a baffled manner. It was bizarre - those who have met me will support my assertion that I'm really not the sort of woman that would normally attract such attention.

4. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Just thinking about the men on our staff, that's the last thing I'd want!

5. I agree 100% with Middlemarch. There is no need for any questions at that point in the process.

6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

As a governor I've served on many HT selection panels over the years and I fully agree with Middlemarch. It's actually the usual response of candidates (at least on panels I'm on) and we haven't expected candidates to ask questions for the sake of it. I think I'd be a little surprised if a candidate had a long list of questions which I'd have expected them to have found out the answers to by this stage in the process.

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I have a shameful tale to tell about Questions At The End Of An Interview.
    The Governors and I were interviewing for a Deputy Head, many, many, moons ago. I asked the standard Is there any question that you would like to ask us? of one particularly obnoxious candidate who had, single-handedly, raised the school from near death to outstanding, solved Fermat's Theorem and also eradicated world poverty (by his account). He replied: Yes. I have seen your development plan for the next 5 years. Could you now tell me your strategic aims for the following 5-10 years?
    I looked at him in silence for a long while, then said: No.
    Why not? quoth he, bristling a little.
    Because I don't want to. Because I am interviewing you, not you interviewing me, replied I.
    This was very wrong of me. It was rude. It was unforgiveable.
    In addition, it made the Governors giggle.
    He walked out offended. I rushed to the phone to speak to the Head of his school. I have just been rude to your colleague, I am so sorry!
    Ah! He said. So, he got up your nose too, did he?
    Moral of the story: when you are on an appointment panel, you must not let yourself be overcome by any reaction to a candidate.
    Moral 2 of the story: when you are a candidate, don't ask any question which is interrogating the panel rather than a genuine request for information that is directly relevant to whether or not you would wish to work at that school.
    Best of luck

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

The next Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, although Julia is thinking of organising some more.

A new SLT seminar is available now on 22 May <u>www.tesweekendworkshop32.eventbrite.com</u>, and another is planned for 18 June.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!

8. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I was once asked by a deputy headship candidate at this end point (and he was down to the last 2 candidates, I might add): 'Is this school going places?'
    I paused just long enough for the audible intakes of breath from the governors to subside, then replied, 'A good question - what evidence have you seen that tells you the answer?'
    He didn't manage to answer that one terribly well, unfortunately.

9. I don't believe you TheoGriff - I think that was you who asked that question.