1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Questions a governing body may ask at a subject presentation

Discussion in 'Governors' started by rebeccasmum, Sep 24, 2017.

1. rebeccasmum

rebeccasmum New commenter

Hello,
    wondered if anyone could advise what questions would a governing body be likely to ask after a subject presentation eg assessment
    Unfortunately it is tomorrow ( we were told last Thursday) many thanks for any ideas or places to look many thanks

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

@rebeccasmum Have the governors or the head given you a template or guidance for your presentation?

As a governor I've been in many of these. I can tell you what ground we want to cover (either in presentation or questions) but governors are individuals with varying amounts of prior knowledge and skills. Yours might ask you something completely different! If a governor strays seriously off topic the head should intervene to bring the governors back to relevant questions.

In a Secondary subject presentation I'd expect to hear about (in no particular order)

-- most recent GCSE/A level results, how compare against forecast/target, reasons for variance. If relevant highlight variances between groups. Personally as a governor I liked to have all the statistical data as a handout before the HOD started presenting it, but some governors will look like statistics put them into a coma

-- Key challenges for your department this year. Your plans for tackling them. How it's going so far (this early in the year not much to say about that!)

-- Give governors an overview of the curriculum - not too much detail - and department structure. In particular how the new GCSE arrangements affect your subject now, and what's coming.

-- How many students are choosing your subject if its an option subject. Trend? Reasons?

-- Brief overview of departmental plan and priorities, Don't give them the whole thing.

-- You might be asked what governors could do to help your department, and whether you have adequate resources. Bear in mind the head will be sitting next to you when you answer that ....

That's off the top of my head, if anything else comes to mind I'll post again. Depends a lot how much time you have been assigned.

3. rebeccasmum

thank you so so much that is very helpful i am primary but lots of those points apply - especially the one about do we need money/help ......will need to think about that one !!! think we have 15 mins and there is another person doing half .just so nervous as have never had to do one before despite teaching for more than 20 years some part time really appreciate you taking the time to email many thanks

4. Rott Weiler

Hopefully you can adapt some of the stuff I suggested to primary.

What subject are you presenting? You might want to say something about how you ensure literacy and numeracy don't squeeze everything else out of the curriculum. How you make sure that creative subjects aren't sacrificed to the demands of ever rising KS2 SATS scores, how you keep the curriculum 'broad and balanced'.

5. rebeccasmum

thank you i dont want to out myself but in the humanities area. those are very good valid points about a broad and balanced curriculum many thanks

6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

7. Rott Weiler

A couple more thoughts. I secondary the HoD would have a role in monitoring and improving teaching of the subject. In primary humanities probably not but you might get asked something about how you ensure consistency of teaching across your subject, especially if it a large primary, more than one teacher teaching a year group.

Also what CPD has taken place for your subject in last 12 months and what CPD is planned..

[Looking back at your post I realise this may be too late, but I'll leave it up in case others search same topic in future].

Let us know how it went and what your governors actually asked!

8. Lattelady

Lattelady New commenter

First of all thank you for doing the presentation, as governors we really do know how stressful it is to come and talk to a room of semi-strangers.

What we are after is an understanding of what you are doing in the classroom both practically and strategically, and what difference it makes to your pupils. We would also like to know if there are any blocks to progress, do you need more help, new books, equipment... can't promise we can do something immediately but we can look at requests moving forward. Next try to ditch the acronyms, what is commonplace to you is another language to some of us.

Talk us through any new initiatives that you are undertaking and what difference they are making, even if it is still bedding in, tell us what your hopes are for it and how long you think before we will see changes, I know only too well that not everything has an immediate result and sometimes it is cumulative and works with what other departments are doing.

Finally good luck with your presentation... and Rott Weiler, it is the Chair and not the Head who will coral the governors back on task.

9. Rott Weiler

Should be - I'm a Chair and I would if I was there - but experience too often suggests otherwise. OP can feel more confident, as it's her first time, in having the Head she knows there rather than the Chair she doesn't.

10. rebeccasmum

hello thank you phew its over thank you so much for your comments sorry didn't see them til just now but am sure they will help others in a similar position...so more questions than i thought but not as tricksy as they could have been again dont want to out myself but they seemed genuinely interested about what went on and picked up on things in the presentation, do you think makes a difference kind of questions ? do you find ..? more of a chit chat about the subject at the end if you know your subject you will be fine thanks again all much appreciated