1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Questioning

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by aman_dhesi, Oct 18, 2016.

1. aman_dhesi

aman_dhesi New commenter

Hi guys

I am currently on my second placement the aspect I am struggling on is questioning. As I have many students who are not taking part in questioning or it becomes a interaction between me and one student and not the whole class. Has anyone got any methods they have tried and tested? Your help will be appreciated.

Aman

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Google Dylan Wiliam on this. He has lots of strategies for ensuring everyone participates in questioning, including the use of mini white boards, no-hands-up, multiple choice questions to which the pupils have to show the number of fingers which corresponds to the answer, random name generators etc.

I just pick on people.
    "Thank you, Kevin, you've worked really hard so far so let's hear from Angela to expand on that point...Good answer, Angela, here's the next question, who do you think should answer this one?...Hmm, Jeremy, do you want to take a moment to think about that one? No, anyone help him out a bit?"

pepper5 likes this.
  3. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

In group work, assign a spokesperson - they have to give feedback to the class as a whole about what their group has discussed. This is a good method for classes where they are reluctant to give their own ideas - they are not wrong but their group might be wrong.
    Don't do the teacher-thing of repeating what the child says - ask another child for their response to the child before them: "what do you think of Kyle's answer, Bob? Can you expand on it/develop it in any way?"
    Don't allow them to put hands up. Just ask them a question. You could give them some time to prepare an answer rather than just dive right in as this minimises the "I don't know" responses. If they discuss in pairs first then this minimises the opportunities for them to claim they haven't got a clue.
    Give a 'conch' (like in Lord of the Flies) so that everyone in the class has a go at speaking. They can build on a former response, add a new one or challenge what someone else has said.
    When questioning, avoid saying things like "that's right, well done" as this closes down the discussion immediately. Ask an open-ended question that allows for a build-up across the class - so in English it could be "what message is the poet trying to convey?" and subsequent questions might be things like "how do you know?" then move onto the next child and ask if they could give a quotation that proves what the previous pupil said. It works in lots of subjects - in Science you could ask a child for their theory on what will happen if XYZ is the input, move on to the next child and ask what prior experiments or knowledge they have that might influence their response, ask the next one to add a formula or equation that might help, then ask the next one to come up with a list of what equipment would be needed for the experiment etc.

4. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

think - pair - share ... could extend it to share with another pair before whole class feedback.

5. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I have written about / worked on this with ITT students at length (theory and practical workshops). If you conversation me happy to send you my material.

6. Apple101

Apple101 Occasional commenter

With questioning there are many methods that you can utilise.

If you are wanting whole class participation then you need to focus on multiple choice or thumbs up thumbs down type questions where all can participate. I like the coloured cards. My favourite is lolly sticks with each students name on them. Once they are used then don't put them back in so all students get assessed.

7. aman_dhesi

aman_dhesi New commenter

Thanks for this can I please get some advise from you through e-mail

Sorry about the late reply I have taken some days off for half term was exhausted

8. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Ok . Can you conversation me with your e mail address ? Cheers

9. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

After you ask a question, you can always ask the class to jot their answer down in their books.