1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Questioning

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by N_M, Feb 5, 2016.

1. N_M

N_M New commenter

Currently I work in a mainstream school and there is a big emphasis on questioning pupils thinking with the use of open questions. However, I am wondering how SEN teachers support pupils with SEN in primary school, especially KS1 with developing these skills as I find my p level (p7-8) students struggle with this.

I mainly give the pupils visual choices to prompt their answers when given a question, or use emotion cards e.g. to discuss how the characters feel in the story. It can still be difficult as while they can talk, their language is still developing. I also find open questioning for pupils with SEN tends to be quite difficult in maths and often simplify by using closed questions.

What strategies do teachers use for questioning or other assessment for learning opportunities with their pupils with SEN?

Any help would be much appreciated!

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Hi. Quick reply. Can send you something I have written on questioning. Collaborative learning can enable students with SEND for a variety of reasons. Again happy to send you some material which may help if you let me know your contact detail add via the conversation facility . Cheers.

3. N_M

N_M New commenter

Thanks, I've sent you a message.