1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Questioning skills

Discussion in 'Primary' started by littlelebowski, Oct 26, 2011.

1. littlelebowski

littlelebowski New commenter

I've just had my first NQT observation. It went really well, and my one target is to improve my questioning. I was told that while the kids were on the carpet, my resonses to children's answers were a bit closed, which I do agree with. When a child got the 'right' answer, I praised them but didn't ask them to justify their answer and I also didn't encourage them to extend their answer. Any advice in this area would be very much appreciated! (I have year 1 and 2).

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Just keep this in mind and start asking them to say how they got the answer or expand it a bit. Once you start to do it, you just get on with it.

3. Try to make sure that the questions you are asking in the first place, are as open as possible. Don't play 'guess what answer is in the teacher's head'. Target ability led questions at children of a matching ability. Use 'hands down'/selector tools to maximise engagement. Extend children by asking them to explain 'how they know' or 'how they worked it out' type questions. Rephrase the children's answers - 'so are you saying...?' Or ask them to rephrase - 'can you explain that a bit more?', or ask another child to rephrase!

4. ShadowMan

ShadowMan New commenter

Ask 'How...' and 'Why...' a lot.
    'How could you work out 7x6 if you can't memorise it?'
    'Why did the water evaporate?'
    And when you are observed, put some of the open questions you are going to ask onto your plan and then the observer will tick their box.

5. bit cynical shadowman. Writing down the questions is a good idea but only if you keep them by you as a prompt this is especially useful to begin with and when being observed as some teachers find stress of observation makes them forget what they meant to say

6. littlelebowski

littlelebowski New commenter

Thanks for all the useful advice. It has really helped me to focus on what I need to do. I know it is mostly common sense - I think I'm normally better in this area when I'm not being observed! [​IMG]
    That's so true, Shadowman, I was very nervous and did in fact forget some of the things I had written on my plan, but my observer was fine about that. She said it was a fantastic lesson, so I'm still on a real high about that. I just want to work on this one target.
    Thanks again for the advice. My mentor comes to observe me from another school, so I don't get a chance to chat to her about this stuff very often. Great to get some tips from more experienced teachers. [​IMG]