1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Questioning in classroom

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by megan_see02, Oct 16, 2018.

1. megan_see02

megan_see02 New commenter

Hi, my mentor says that I need to develop more open style questioning, but I am really struggling to do it. For example, today I am starting the lesson by asking the students to recall what they read last week, and what happened in the book etc. My mentor says the questioning during this recall needs to be open and stretch high achievers, but I'm not too sure what sort of questions to ask. Please could someone advise me with what sorts of questions would be appropriate? Thank you!

2. rustyfeathers

rustyfeathers Occasional commenter

Try searching for a question matrix - they can be very useful!

freckle06 and pepper5 like this.
  3. megan_see02

megan_see02 New commenter

Thank you!

4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Closed questions lead to a yes/no response- open questions require a more comprehensive answer. Are you feeling alright is closed-tell me about how you are feeling is open.
    Good luck with getting them to remember what they read last week! They are likely to need prompting and reminders.

pepper5 likes this.
  5. A_Million_Posts

A_Million_Posts Star commenter

Think about higher order questions. Move from what happened to why a character behaved in a certain way or what could they have done differently. Ask what they liked or disliked about the ending of their books and what could have turned out differently. Did the characters learn anything from their experiences? Did the reader learn anything from the book?

pepper5 likes this.
  6. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

Who. What? Where? Why? How? When?
    Pose, pause, pounce - bounce. Students to give reasons for their answer and why they agree or disagree with previous answers.

pepper5 likes this.
  7. sir2006

sir2006 New commenter

8. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Thanks for the link sir 2006. Very useful.

9. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Hi - happy to send you my training material - all very accessible ( theory but mostly practical suggestions ) and an article of mine . Have devoted whole ITT sessions to Questioning ! Out of the county til 25 Oct but will pm you and send the stuff then.

pepper5 likes this.
  10. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Could I have a copy as well Minnie me? Thank you.

11. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

pepper5 likes this.
  12. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

:)

Thank you!

13. -EqualityStreet-

-EqualityStreet- New commenter

Hi @minnie me, could i also get a copy of your training material and article? Thanks!

14. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Just picked this up. Sure . Need contact e mail add. Cheers

15. -EqualityStreet-

-EqualityStreet- New commenter

16. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Ok - shall get to you when @ my desk