1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Question Types for English Language GCSE Section B, AQA

Discussion in 'English' started by thequillguy, Mar 11, 2012.

1. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

Evening all,

These questions must have been asked before (many times) although I cannot find any threads through searching. Is there a way to search by a date range, too?

1) What are the question types/triplets for the two writing questions on the English Language paper? Although they were explain/describe/inform and argue/persuade/advise, I seem to have the notion that AQA pared them down to the just two types. What is the current standing?

2) How long would have your students plan each task? I would say a minimum of 5 minutes. The AQA standardisation materials seem to suggest no planning at all (inasmuch as their highest marked exemplar has no evidence of planning) which isn't something I want my students to follow.

3) Was it sunny for you? Had a marking break today running on the beach watching tourists sitting in traffic jams.

Thanks for your advice.

2. thequillguy

Evening all,

These questions must have been asked before (many times) although I cannot find any threads through searching. Is there a way to search by a date range, too?

1) What are the question types/triplets for the two writing questions on the English Language paper? Although they were explain/describe/inform and argue/persuade/advise, I seem to have the notion that AQA pared them down to the just two types. What is the current standing?

2) How long would have your students plan each task? I would say a minimum of 5 minutes. The AQA standardisation materials seem to suggest no planning at all (inasmuch as their highest marked exemplar has no evidence of planning) which isn't something I want my students to follow.

3) Was it sunny for you? Had a marking break today running on the beach watching tourists sitting in traffic jams.

Thanks for your advice.

3. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

2) With my marking hat on, no planning at all. It goes totally against EVERYTHING I have ever taught, but having seen lots of students fail to even get to the last question, I think they need to get on as quickly as possible. 5 mins as an absolute max: if they just make a note of purpose and audience AND STICK TO THEM, that will help.
    3) Dunno. Was inside marking all day :-(
    1) You might think that after marking hundreds of them since last summer, I might know this. But it's totally gone from my brain. See 3) for why this might be :-(

4. thequillguy

Thanks Sleepyhead. I suspect that the plan needs to pared down, but no plan at all? That takes some nerve! Saying that, the AQA exemplars show the candidates not using plans.

5. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

I'm marked summer and Jan, and have seen very few plans. I just don't think there's really any time, which is scary!