1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Question Time 19th November 2015 - Soubry, Hastings & Hasan

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Nov 21, 2015.

?

Who do you trust more?

1. Anna Soubry

2. Max Hastings

3. Mehdi Hasan

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Dedicated to the aftermath of last week's Parisian attack, this was an episode which could have become a maudlin rehearsal of jingo but instead steered a steady course during which Anna Soubry almost came to blows with Mehdi Hasan over the issue of decapitation by UK allies:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

She is then put firmly in her place by Sir Max Hastings:

[​IMG]

Poor Anna.

[​IMG]

(BBC.co.uk, 20th November 2014.)

Also on the panel are Andy Burnham, looking as glum as ever, former editor of Le Monde Natalie Nougayrede and the owner of the Independent & Evening Standard newspapers Evgeny Lebedev.

Simon Warr also gets some airtime, if anyone remembers him.

2. HarbingerSwell

HarbingerSwell Occasional commenter

Not surprising with Mehdi Hasan.

3. Vince_Ulam

Yes, he has a history of holding politicians to account. Soubry was not suited.

4. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

An embarrassment

Strangely, Hastings "wise with age" gene seems to have finally kicked in.

5. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

As with most recent offerings from that programme I found that episode to be pretty boring and hardly worth the effort of switching channels

6. Vince_Ulam

It's always good to see a member of the Cabinet lose it.

Didactylos4 likes this.
  7. George_Randle

George_Randle Senior commenter

Hassan as a Shia despises the Saudis. I look forward to his subsequent denunciations of the human rights abuses of the Iranian regime.

8. Vince_Ulam

Such casual calumny. Nobody is destined by their religious or philosophical beliefs to hate anyone in particular.

9. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

[​IMG]

10. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Star commenter

11. George_Randle

Absolutely no calumny, rather a statement of things as they are.

Saudi Arabia and Iran get on like a House on fire.

Enjoy your toccata on the blue guitar.

12. Vince_Ulam

No, rather as latter-day Orientalists would have them, but let's put your theory of religious determinism to the test: Tell me, how does this 'Agnostic Muslim' feel about 'the Saudis'?

[​IMG]

13. George_Randle

I have no theory of religious determinism, the loathing of many Shias for the Saudi regime is an easily demonstrable fact, and I see no point in responding to a strawman.

14. Vince_Ulam

If you're going to call fallacy then let's see how you defend your faulty generalisation: Demonstrate to me that all Shia Muslims hate 'the Saudis'.

15. George_Randle

This is the kind of language Hasan uses when he's not in front of a Question Time audience. It also shows how deeply invested he is in Shia martyrology.

Homosexual, dog-lover, music-lover as terms of abuse. Now that's calumny!

More faces than the Town Hall clock.

16. Vince_Ulam

Excellent, you've realised that you cannot defend your false claim and so roar your frustration at a public figure. Move on, George, move on. You've done it before. Take as your example that man, some brother or other, who declared himself an 'ex-Muslim' in the hope of being famous on the internet and who then claimed to be an 'agnostic Muslim' to get along with his family and friends. He seems happy.

17. George_Randle

I am not going to defend a claim I never made.

It is telling that you have nothing to offer but an ad hominem and a deflection.

I couldn't care less about your personal attacks on me. It is far more important that Mehdi Hasan stands exposed.

Irshad Manji has a chat with Mehdi and a few others...

I plead guilty to the charge of orientalism. I love Chinese food!

18. Vince_Ulam

What, not even your claim that all Shia hate all "the Saudis"?

Well, I respect your decision. I suppose discretion is the better part, and all that

I am not attacking you but I don't think that shouting your private wish to see Mr Hasan exposed is at all appropriate on a professional forum. I am sure that you are capable of better than this.

19. George_Randle

I'm not sure that you are.

What kind of 'public figure' uses dog-lover, music-lover and homosexual as perjoratives? The speech I linked to exposes Hasan's hypocrisy beyond all reasonable doubt.

20. Vince_Ulam

I have faith in you, even though you may not.

None, clearly.