1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Question specifically about 11+

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Abitofeverything, Jun 29, 2020 at 10:52 AM.

1. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

I am a tutor in an 11+ area and 2/3 of my students are studying for this test. In my area, it's normally sat in mid September, and I tutor the previous year's cohort right up to the test then start my new cohort the following week. My county are now saying they're going to push the test back by 4-5 weeks, til mid-Oct.
    My question is, for that month of Sep - Oct - who do I prioritise? The old students who have had me for a year and just need to keep up the practice and motivation for a few more weeks (this is easier said than done - they will be so fed up of it, especially after lockdown and lack of school), or my new cohort who need to hit the ground running as we have lots to cover in the upcoming year. I don't have time to do both every week. I could alternate week on week off for 4-5 weeks...any thoughts greatly appreciated!

2. phatsals

phatsals Senior commenter

Short boosters with those sitting the 11+, either short sessions with the new ones or give them the option of starting later.

You could also tutor through half term if need be.

3. alsoamum

alsoamum Occasional commenter

Could you offer group tuition for your new starters? Like an 'intro to 11 plus' short course with the option to go one to one after the test.

I'm in the same position but luckily only had two new starters due to begin in September as a lot of my year 4s are staying into year 5 but already have time slots. So, I've decided I'm just going to have to put on extra weekends slots until the test is done and dusted and some before school 30 minute sessions. Hopefully it will keep everyone happy!

I'm guessing maybe you're in Kent or Medway - hopefully we will know for sure by end of term!

4. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

Thanks for your answer...I have about 11 candidates this year and 14 new ones starting in Sep! Will have a think. And yes I'm hoping for clarification soon...