1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Question re. support staff and strike

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by milliebear, Jun 16, 2011.

1. I have a question regarding support staff (I am a teacher).
    If
    a school closes because of large numbers of teaching staff on strike,
    do support staff get paid for that day when school is closed?
    There is a feeling at my school that management may use this as a way to strong-arm teachers not to strike...

2. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

If the school decides to shut it's doors to pupils because they would not have enough staff to supervise them then they can still require non striking staff to come in to work. A school may tell them not to bother coming in, but I would get this in writing first before it. They cannot dock the pay of non-striking staff.

3. Thank you.

4. Waterfin

Waterfin New commenter

When our school closed because Unison was striking and the support staff were out, the teachers were told that if we didn't turn in for the day we would be unpaid.
    I would assume it would be the opposite. Support staff would probably be asked to attend if they wish to be paid.

5. But what if they can't attend because the school is completely closed (to staff and children).

6. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

Then they write a letter to the head stating their intention to work and they will still get paid.

7. coppull

coppull New commenter

HT should be asking teaching staf(ATL/NUT)f in the coming week, whether they are striking on
    the 30th. They will,then make a decision on H & S grounds,whether school is closed or partly open.
    There should be no problem over the support staff.