1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Question re: Ginn reading scheme and NC levels.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jo123go, Sep 29, 2007.

1. Hi all-
    My new school uses the Ginn scheme and I'm trying to find a list that gives the equivalent NC level. E.g. Child x is reading level 4 Ginn which means they are a 2a e.t.c.

I've been searcing and found this link http://www.thegrid.org.uk/learning/english/ks1_2/literacy...

Which book bands are these? Does anyone know if the Ginn scheme reflects these levels?

Any ideas greatly appreciated- as can't seem to find guidance anywhere!

Jo

2. Anyone?

3. These book bands relate to the publication Book Bands for Guided Reading and not a particular published scheme. This lists numerous books by title and/or author and tells you which band they come under.

http://ioewebserver.ioe.ac.uk/ioe/cms/get.asp?cid=7816&78...

There's a KS1 version, KS2 version and a "Bridging" version for inbetweeners!

So Band 4 books in our school, for example, contain some Ginn, some ORT, some others we've banded ourselves using advice from the above book.

You cannot assume Level 4 Ginn is a Band 4 book.

If your school uses book bands then your Lit Coord should have a copy of the book above (it's updated regularly) but it's a huge job checking against the list.

We did it as a whole school last year so all our books ar enow Book Banded and come from a variety of schemes.

Try contacting Ginn directly. They may be able to tell you which of their levels matches which book bands.

Hope that helps!

4. Sorry - just re-read your post.

So, as far as NC levels are concerned each Book Band does relate to a NC level (so Band 3 is 1c I think, Bands 4/5 1b etc - from memory anyway).

But you'll still need to convert your Ginn bands to general Book Bands before you can decide this on your scheme.

Golly - hope I haven't confused you!

5. I am confused whodbeateacher- but I'm sure that's more to do with the system, rather than your explanation of it.

Thanks for your help- I'll speak to literacy co-ordinator tomorrow and hopefully she'll just be able to give me a sheet with the corresponding levels! (Here's hoping!!)

Thanks again,
    Jo

6. Is this Reading 360? If so:

Level 4 = 1a
    Level 5 = 2c
    Level 6 and 7 = 2b
    Level 8 = 2a

Hope this helps.