1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Question prior to PGCE interview

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Jonny_H, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Jonny_H

Jonny_H New commenter

Hey everyone

I have an interview this week for my PGCE in maths and I was wondering if you guys could help me.

What is, in your opinion, the future of maths teaching? There is a possibility that this question may be asked at my interview and I'm sorta confused for answered so anything at all would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

2. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

3. Jonny_H

Jonny_H New commenter

Thanks for the reply.

I remember during my school observations they mentioned that the GCSE maths course is now spread out of a larger number of exams instead of just coursework and a calculator and non-calculator paper at the end. As this method isn't modular, what is the technical name for this?

I looked the EBacc, seems some people are divided on the issue saying that it will be force student to take 'hard' subjects but equally limits their choices. At the same time, why isn't RE included as a humanities subject?

4. This might just be the particular course that school had chosen to follow, rather than being the case for every single school. There is no coursework in any GCSE maths course nowadays. Every course has some non-calc and some calc papers. Then there are Linear exams, with two exams (calc, non-calc) taken at the end of the course and Modular exams, with other papers taken at different stages in the course.
    The modular exams are flexible and the different units can be taken at different times of the year (and retaken if necessary).
    The course you mention _could_ be OCR's 'Graduated Assessment', which is essentially a modular course. This, though, is not part of the 'future of maths teaching' in that by next summer it will have ceased to exist.
    That's the idea. It's a brilliant wheeze by Gove to embarrass schools away from qualifications he doesn't like without actually banning those subjects. It is, of course, an utter nonsense. I did a whole pile of 'hard' GCSE subjects, but wouldn't have got the EBacc.
    Here are a few possible reasons:
    <ol>[*]It used to be compulsory for pupils to study Core RE at KS4. This did not have to lead to an exam. But many head teachers decided that if kids had to spend an hour a week on RE then they may as well do GCSE RE or the short course GCSE (worth half a grade). This meant that the motivation of the kids taking it was low and grades were fairly poor. [*]Last year there was a GCSE RE question that featured a picture of a nativity scene and asked candidates to identify some of the participants in the scene - rather embarrassingly straightforward![*]The government doesn't like the multifaith element to RE.[*]Gove really wants everyone to do either Geography or History, but called it Humanities as an umbrella title by mistake.</ol>

5. because not including it in the ebacc favours private schools over comprehensives in ebacc results