1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Question on Compression Methods

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Mr_G_ICT, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter

Ok, just doing my lesson on Lossy Vs Lossless and i've got some great resources from CSUnplugged and CS inside.

However, here is my question: I know that MP£/JPG/PDF files are encoded using a lossy compressioin, But are all documents that are not lossy compressed squished in lossless format when saved.

E.g. I save a word document, does it automatically compress it?

It seems to make sense to do so, but i don't know the answer. I can see this being a question my Year 10's will ask

2. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter

Ok, just doing my lesson on Lossy Vs Lossless and i've got some great resources from CSUnplugged and CS inside.

However, here is my question: I know that MP£/JPG/PDF files are encoded using a lossy compressioin, But are all documents that are not lossy compressed squished in lossless format when saved.

E.g. I save a word document, does it automatically compress it?

It seems to make sense to do so, but i don't know the answer. I can see this being a question my Year 10's will ask

3. .docx Word files are actually .zip files so they are compressed using lossless compression. However, images within the document may be a mixture of lossy (.jpg) and lossless (.png).

4. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter

brill, thanks.

that's quite interesting actually. think it'll go on my twitter wall.

Will need to COMPRESS it first though (BOM BOM!)*

*yes i am that lame