1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Question from an English teacher on gathering ISA data

Discussion in 'Science' started by dondada, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Hello all - hope someone can help me out here. The Mrs is doing the outgoing AQA Science B spec as a private candidate (i.e. on her own with some seemingly inadequate private tuition). This is because she wants to go into primary teaching and didn't get her C when she was at school (20+ years ago).

Anyway, it's all been left very late - she only entered very recently. She has an ISA a week on Tuesday and needs to compile the data (emulsions). As she has little idea and even less support/equipment, can anyone offer any advice? Can, erm, the practical element be circumnavigated and a set of data, erm, contrived? Or is this a massive no-no and, as we call it in English, 'cheating'?

Any help appreciated.

2. Hello all - hope someone can help me out here. The Mrs is doing the outgoing AQA Science B spec as a private candidate (i.e. on her own with some seemingly inadequate private tuition). This is because she wants to go into primary teaching and didn't get her C when she was at school (20+ years ago).

Anyway, it's all been left very late - she only entered very recently. She has an ISA a week on Tuesday and needs to compile the data (emulsions). As she has little idea and even less support/equipment, can anyone offer any advice? Can, erm, the practical element be circumnavigated and a set of data, erm, contrived? Or is this a massive no-no and, as we call it in English, 'cheating'?

Any help appreciated.

3. mm38

mm38 New commenter

The marker has to sign to say that the student has actually done the practical work and collected data. If you don't do the practical you can't gain any marks for the first half which is 18 marks. The equipment needed to the ISA should be avaliable in the home. Whoever is conducting the ISA for you should be able to help and explain what the practical needs to be.

4. Thanks for this. As it stands, she's just been told to turn up to the written paper with the data (i.e. do it on her own). Methinks she had better ring the AQA Science team first thing! Cheers.

5. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

Who is entering her for this?

There are 6 marks for the Practical Skills Assessment, which can only genuinely be awarded by someone who has seen the candidate doing some practical work...OK, most candidates probably get a 6, but to say 'just turn up with the data' is really stretching things. Personally, I think someone isn't doing their job!

Mark

6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

<address>I am doing this prac with private candiates on Saturday morning (9 till 1) They will do the prac, plot the graph, sit the exam and I will mark it. If you are in the Midlands (I work in Brum) pm me and i'll put you in touch with our exam sec. 1 more won't hurt there will be 2 doing the emulsions and 7 doing osmosis on the day). &pound;10 fee per candidate for the prac plus any admin fees for the school.</address>

7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

The centre will need to give you the relevent paperwork. There will be a sheet for your wife to sign to say that she has had no help with the work other than the normal teaching. Another sheet for the techer to sign to say that he/she has witnessed the prac taking place and has assigned PSA marks for it.