1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Question for Theo or GLSghost or anyone else who knows anything about OH and the equality act.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by sopsychedout, Jul 8, 2015.

1. sopsychedout

sopsychedout New commenter

Dear Theo

This is a speculative rather than an actual job hunting question that I have.

In short, I have just requested and had back an OH report because I have a long term problem with my back (I don't want to describe my exact condition publicly because of who reads this website. I.e. I don't want nosy people false rumours on here after reading this post, as I'm very happy in my current workplace). The report states amongst other things that my condition is likely to be covered by the equality act. However, I am fit to carry out my teaching duties, save for not engaging in heavy manual handling or remaining on my feet for prolonged periods of time.

What does this mean in terms of applying for jobs in the future? Would I need to list this as a disability? Would I need to have another OH assessment in future jobs before getting an offer?

Thanks

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I am pleased that you have got OH involved to support you here. Make sure that you do whatever they recommend for your health and comfort.

Only if you believe that it would impact on you carrying out your job.

That is surely NEVER part of a teaching role!

Possibly, but after the offer.

"Fitness to teach" is a requirement of all teaching posts. Most teaching posts require you to fill in a health declaration after they have offered the job and you have accepted. Their offer is always subject to this

If you are fit to teach, as your post suggests, then I can see no problem, myself. If at a later stage adjustments have to be made (eg providing a suitable chair), that shouldn't be a problem either.

My feeling is that you are worrying too much about this.

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

3. sopsychedout

sopsychedout New commenter

Hello Theo!

Thanks for answering my question so quickly! Your response was very reassuring! I probably would list it as I would need a chair with lumbar support at interview but that's all as my condition is getting better (through my current medication which I will stop in a few weeks, physiotherapy and exercise. I'm also careful not to overdo things and to rest during bad times). I'm pleased to hear that this wouldn't put future employers off.

My current employers have been very understanding about this (in fact, it was my idea to go through occupational health as I wanted to formalise the support that I've been given so far now that I know that my back condition is a long term one and will flare up on occasion if I don't continue to manage it properly. Again, I don't want to give exact details publicly) but I know that not all employers would be which is why I wanted to check.

I'm not worried now! :)

Thanks again!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I shouldn't declare it on the application, just before the interview. Most schools ask if any special consideration is needed at that stage.

Good luck! Make sure you read all the applications advice articles before you start applying. Do you know where they all are?

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.