1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Question for HLTA's

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by sdscotty, May 9, 2011.

1. Hi, I am one of 3 HLTAs at my school, all 3 of us have very different roles, my role is to cover teachers PPA throughout the school and my current timetable (changes half termly) is as follows:
    Mon AM cover yr 2
    Tue ALL DAY cover yr 3
    Wed AM cover yr 4
    PM cover yr 1
    Thu ALL DAY cover yr 1
    Fri AM cover yr 5

Unlike yourself, I do not have to mark or plan the lessons although I may tweak some of the material whilst I am teaching.
    Hope this answers your query

2. I'm HLTA in a special needs secondary - there are 10 of us in school. I work in an ASD classroom with 5 boys. I plan lessons for my class teachers PPA time, I cover for other classes whenever required. My additional responsibilities include
    1. planning, organising and delivering ICT training clinics for the staff
    2. Planning, resourcing, organising and delivering whole school multicultural days
    3. Maintenance of the school learning platform
    4. Creating resources for the school accreditation work
    5. Creating story sacks and interactive powerpoints
    6. International school links
    7. Connecting classrooms links and resources
    8. Transition of new students into year 7
    9. Keyworker role for challenging student/family
    10. responsibility for EAL resources and delivering training to other schools
    Theres probably a whole load of other stuff as well but this is the official list!!!

3. Thanks for the replies so far. I find it most interesting to see the many different areas that our role covers.
    Keep them coming please, thanks

4. Hi,
    Can i ask how long, How long have u been a HLTA for? Did u have to do a course to gain the status?I am currently a TA in primary and have applied for the GTP kirklees twice and have been unsuccessful both times. I am now intereted in HLTA as this will give me a more pro-active role in the planning and teaching/learning curriculum and the experience of whole class curriculum delivery for next year's application. Any info would be much appreciated. Thank you.
    Nana..

5. Hi,
    I am a HLTA in a primary school:

8.50 - 9.00 Registration, collecting any money brought in by students
    9.00 - 10.30 Deliver numeracy to group of 6 low ability students
    10.30 - 11.00 Assembly, playground duty or first aid duty
    11.00 - 12.00 Read Write Inc. with group of 6 students -
    12.00 - 12.15 Sentence writing (assisting whole class_
    12.15 - 1.15 Lunch - usually eaten in 15mins then doing photocopy, laminating, preparing nxt lesson.
    1.15 - 3.15 Either cover yr6 teacher for her management time, PPA for yr4 teacher or Catch Up reading programme
    with 6 students in yr2 class.
    Hometime at 3.15 but rarely leave before 3.40. I'm also one of those stupid people who start work at 7.30a.m but am not
    paid till 9a.m.
    I am currently one of 5 HLTA's and one of us is about to be made redundant - even though only 2 of us have status.

6. I teach whole class. All day. Every day (half a day in each year from reception up to year 6.) I plan for about 70% of the teaching that I do.- I get 2 hours PPA
    Spend 2 days, whole class teaching, in one class (in which I plan, resource, assess the lessons etc...)
    Co-ordinate a foundation subject (I hold the budget, I am soley reponsible for the delivery of this subject across the whole school, I write reports to governers, set homework across the whole school, write action plans etc...)
    Work as a team of 4 to Co-ordinate a core subject (within this I've lead staff meetings, written reports to governers, writen subject action plans, been responsible for individual aspects etc...)
    I run an after school club every Wednesday
    I lead one assembly every half term
    :eek:) busy bee!! x

7. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

Goodness you are busy.
    I have some 1:1 time with severe SEN.Class time to support a variety of pupils with SEN. EAL support and resource making with parent's group. Run a Nurture Group (qualified.) Whole class teach for 1 1/2 days a week to cover PPA and SMT time.Cover for SMT if necessary or if any emergency in school (4 HLTAs to do this.) Run School Council.

8. Hello
    I am a full time HLTA in a rural primary of 85 pupils.
    I support in a year 5/6 class most mornings. During this time I also run all the intervention work needed for children in this class (Numeracy/literacy)
    I teach KS1 french to 2 classes using the Dinocrocs scheme two sessions per week.
    I am PE qualified so I cover all staff PPA by teaching PE - all Tues, Wed, Thurs afternoon across reception to year 4 and some year 5/6.
    I am assistant SENCO and receive an hour a week to complete all I need to for this - never enough!
    I run three after school PE clubs and the netball team and arrange all our PE fixtures.
    I am the PLT and PE coordinator.
    I run a skipping club before school one morning per week.
    I am also the school's first aider and deal with anything that crops up vaguely medical!
    Short term covering in classes - a moveable feast - this week year 4 SATS!
    Obviously I am only paid from 8.45 - 3.15pm everyday but my day always starts at 8 am and finishes around 4.45pm. I am sure it is the same for us all.
    I love my job and no, I don't want to be a teacher but unfortunately being so adaptable and busy leads to a heavy workload and a tired mind and body! Plus let's not talk about all the work I do at home (and try to hide so my husband doesn't moan about it again, and again and again!)
    Anyone got any answers!!!!