1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

question for an english teacher.

Discussion in 'English' started by 0303513v, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I'm currently writing an essay about literacy in science and need to find out when, in english, pupils learn about writing in third person? Science reports require this and i'm unsure if KS3 pupils would be familiar with this style of writing.
    Any help would be much appreciated thanks,
    Laura

2. Hi,
    I'm currently writing an essay about literacy in science and need to find out when, in english, pupils learn about writing in third person? Science reports require this and i'm unsure if KS3 pupils would be familiar with this style of writing.
    Any help would be much appreciated thanks,
    Laura

3. I'm not entirely sure quite what you're asking but students in KS3 should be familiar with writing in third person. They may need a prompt however if they have to write about themselves in the third person.

4. I think you mean passive rather than the third person. They wouldn't write "Jamie added potion X to the test tube" but "Potion X was added to the test tube". No idea when they're taught it - you might have to model it in a science lesson just to be sure.

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

airy's right you need the impersonal passive voice- a 'mood' rather than a tense or a person.
    3rd person singular would be 'He/she or a name lit the bunsen burner'. Whereas the impersonal passive would say The bunsen burner was lit (no person involved 1, 2 or 3) or the imperative form- Light the bunsen burner for younger children.Imperatives will start to be taught under instruction writing around year 2 and passive voice possibly year 5 ormore likely year 6/7.

In Primary the children children tend to start by answering the
    questions What I/we did, what I/we used,(so 1st person singular /1st
    person plural) What happened/ what I /we noticed etc?

6. Can you sample KS3 students' work to see if they can or cannot handle the passive voice? If they can't, then offering a model or template might improve matters. Each subject or discipline in school requires students handle a repertoire of writing styles and formats. Sometimes they clash... I have a number of students who overuse bullet points because they are required and/or expected in other subjects and I have to model English essays to dissuade them from using this stylistic device.