1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Question for a friend

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by PersianCatLady, May 23, 2019.

1. PersianCatLady

PersianCatLady Occasional commenter

At an interview today he was asked,

"Have you EVER taken illegal drugs?"

Is this allowed??

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Taking the drugs or asking the question?

3. PersianCatLady

PersianCatLady Occasional commenter

Asking the question?

4. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

So long as they ask all the candidates a similar question it's fine.

5. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

My response would be ‘I don’t consider that to be an appropriate question as I don’t see what baring it has on my fitness for this role.’

6. HolyMahogany

HolyMahogany Occasional commenter

They are asking if your friend has ever broken the law.
    They will check if your friend has a criminal record before employing them.
    So there is no need to ask the question.

bonxie and (deleted member) like this.
  7. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

In fact they are asking if your friend has ever got away with breaking the law! Even worse. What answer do they expect?

‘Yes indeed. But no one has found the bodies under the floor in my old flat, either. Joys of quicklime, eh?’ wink wink.

8. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Indeed, the question must be asking about any currently-undocumented law-breaking.
    If you did take drugs in the past, and you say no, then if they ever find out you could presumably be dismissed. They'd presumably need some evidence, though, and the chances are fairly small that somebody who knew you back then turns up and mentions it, let alone produces any evidence that stops it being your word against theirs.

9. mrswallow

mrswallow Occasional commenter

'Oh. You meant ingest, inhale or inject an illegal drug? I thought you meant take. No I never just took them, I always paid..' Sloppy questioning.

What if it was something that is illegal in your current jurisdiction, but legal where/ when you had it?

10. ajrowing

ajrowing Occasional commenter

One might wonder if at interview they ask such bizarre questions, whether one actually wants to work for them.

11. lovejoy_antiques

lovejoy_antiques Occasional commenter

It didn't hold back barrack Obama so why should it matter for teachers? I wonder what the they right answer would be? Maybe they want someone with some real life experience? Drugs awareness phse lessons delivered by people who've never inhaled never go well. Especially with street wise kids who see the local drug dealer driving a new BMW while their teacher arrives at school in a ten year old Corsa.

magic surf bus and jlishman2158 like this.
  12. HolyMahogany

HolyMahogany Occasional commenter

perhaps they were hinting that it is such a difficult and stressful school to work at that you will need some illegal substances to get you through the day.

13. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

L'esprit de l'escalier temps encore...

Your friend could have said...

"I didn't realise that sort of experience was required for this job"

"I am quite boring in that regard., how about you?"

"After hearing that question, this not the place for me. I'll be writing to the chair of governors to tell them why I withdrew part way through the interview process"

"have ever asked a really stupid question and only realised how was dull it was later?"

"have you ever lost a really exceptional candidate for a teaching post by asking a ludicrous question?"

"my 6 year old niece asks inappropriate questions because she doesn't know any better, you should know better"

"first, tell me have you ever poisoned anyone?"

"do you prefer one of the other candidates?"

To echo others on here.

"You are going to do an enhanced police check, why on Earth would you feel the need to ask that question"

14. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Correct response- "why, want some?"

sabrinakat, lardylegs, DIPS1 and 3 others like this.
  15. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

No, never. But that could be because I wouldn't have the faintest idea how to go about getting any.
    Do you have any tips?

16. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

Was this the student panel?

17. baitranger

baitranger Established commenter

Another point: the question asks about drugs, plural. If someone had taken only one illegal drug he could honestly answer "no". If someone had a conviction for using one illegal drug he could still answer "no" to the question.
    Suppose someone had been prescribed a controlled drug for a particular condition which was subsequently cured. A year later , to took the drug originally prescribed ( some left over from the original prescription) for recreational purposes. Would that not be illegal?

18. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

In the interests of preventing a terrible mistake.

Never try to dispose of a body using quicklime, all you will end up doing is preserving it.

Now you don't want that, do you?

;)

19. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

.... worked so far...stick. With what you know...

20. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

ridleyrumpus and agathamorse like this.