1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Question about Y2 SATs

Discussion in 'Primary' started by FenellaF, Feb 4, 2012.

1. FenellaF

FenellaF New commenter

Hi, I am hoping that someone can shed some light as to the purpose of Y2 SATs. I THOUGHT that they were merely another assessment tool to help the Y2 teacher level the children. However, at my new school, the children go into Y3 with whatever grade they got on their SATs paper, so if a child is generally working at a 2c, but for some reason, flukes a 2b on the day, they go into Y3 as a 2b, and as a result, need to be a 4b by the end of Y6. Is this how is should be? Thanks

2. No!
    The SAT tests should be used only to support and assist judgements. The teacher assessment level awarded to the child should be based on a range on work..... otherwise it is not fair to KS2.
    G

3. FenellaF

FenellaF New commenter

So what should be entered into Fischer Family trust, or is this something only a few schools use? What i mean is, and I apologise for not really knowing what I'm on about, but at the end of Y2 the levels must be entered somewhere nationally so that it can be ascertained who has made 2 levels progress, so should it be teacher assessment that is entered and NOT SATs?

4. In my school, we use KS1 SATs, as an assessment tool. I have been a year 2 teacher for 5 years, externally moderated 3 times, and have had my teacher assessments accurately verified each year. I have over ruled the test score, both higher and lower on many occasions and each time the moderator has been happy to accept my judgements as they are always backed up with evidence.
    It seems mad that a test score can influence and put pressure on year 3.

5. No, as the previous poster said, they are just one piece of the jigsaw. Results of the teacher assessments are what are reported to the local authority and the levels the children go up with should also be the teacher assessment. Drives me mad that we still have to do them, even though we don't have to report them, but there's no choice on that one. The spelling test is particularly silly as it isn't anything to do with the HFWs. They usually get a higher level on the maths SATs than through APP, as the maths paper doesn't ask for the same kind of using and applying. To take this alone would be very unreliable.

6. FenellaF

FenellaF New commenter

Thank you all for you input. You are backing up what I suspected to be right, but I don't understand why my school uses the SATs papers and goes off these alone.

7. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Ah, but everyone has explained what SHOULD happen. Unfortunately a Head can decide to use any measure he/she wants. If they want to use the test result, then they can do.

8. Not according to the statutory requirements in the KS1 ARA document, they can't. The LEA should also have a lot to say when they moderate.

9. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

But if a Head says that the test result should form the major proportion of the final assessment, what can you do! Effectively teacher assessments were overruled[​IMG]

10. We too use the yr 2 sats as a tool to inform and I agree with above - been teaching yr2 for some years now and been moderated. I would argue that a head merely using the SATs as what should go forth to yr3 is at best ill-informed. S/he is incorrect - I'm surprised the LA don't pick this up?

11. It seems that the head either doesn't understand the KS1 teacher assessments or doesn't trust them.
    I can't believe that the poor year 3 teachers are set up with levels that could be totally wrong. Depending on which year you are doing, I feel the 2009 Maths paper makes it very easy to score a 2b when the child has not had to apply any knowledge. That's why I use my evidence of the progress taken over the school year.
    Do you have a friendly LA advisor or a subject/SAT update where you could mention your unease at this system.
    Are you being moderated? This would help your cause. I am again, but I don't mind as it's a very helpful process and confirms what I know. Then there is no comeback next year.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Look at the poor year 7 teacher who gets the KS2 SATs which are the result of months of boosting. Fortunately most secondaries don't believe the KS2 SATS and do a CAT test at the start of September. Then that reflects the fact that the children have had at least 6 weeks off plus have probably not done much work in the last month at school.
    Personally, assessment at this level should be teacher based and not based on the performance of a 6 / 7 year old on one day. I know my son has great working days and not so great working days - because he is 6!! I would hope that his teacher assesses him on what he has shown her through the year and not on that day.
    I think also the same should go for year 6 - and stop making them so high pressure. But that's another thread.
    I've been a year 3 teacher and rarely believed the KS1 SATs results when they came up. A bit like other teachers sometimes finds it difficult to match up a previous year assessment with the child in front of them. But what can you do?