1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Question about writing sow

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Conrad81, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Conrad81

Conrad81 New commenter

In my current school there is no head of department, so I am de facto. This means that I am writing all of the schemes of work for the BTEC course, and for all of my other drama and music lessons. (I teach drama and music).

They are paying me on M1, and the job is currently very very stressful as I have to plan and devise everything with no support or levels and am expected to devise my own levels and curriculum.

Does this sound normal? And should I be getting paid more?

I'm an NVQ by the way.

Thanks.

2. Conrad81

Conrad81 New commenter

3. Conrad81

Conrad81 New commenter

Oop! I mean I'm an NQT!

4. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Tragically it sounds normal. Even though it should be unacceptable. The point about NQTs is that they are given time, coaching and opportunity to develop and you are not doing any developing at all.

That bit is easy, what you can do about it
    1. See your Union Rep
      This won't necessarily work as it really depends on what backing can be mustered among the rest of the staff.
    2. See the Head
      The school has a Duty of Care to you and it may be possible for the Head to accept that it is failing you in this instance.
    3. External saviours?
      I've not really got the hang of NQTs but isn't there a mentor outside school who is responsible for you in some way?
    4. Leave
      Given the times that you've posted the above means that you're work-life balance is already shot to bits and for your own Mental/Physical health you need to get out (maybe just the school, not teaching).
    Sorry to be rather negative but it's a lot easier for all concerned to just dither and force you to get on with it.

Jack Cazorla,
    Author of How to be a Cover Supervisor.

5. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Sorry I missed the Pay question.

Don't try haggling for a pay rise. With it comes the responsibility for delivering the SOWs and everything else. Also it immediately cancels out all your other worries.

6. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

On M1? You're being taken for a ride

New job time