1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Question about whole class assessment record

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by life2teach, Aug 13, 2011.

1. life2teach

life2teach New commenter

Hello,
    I'm a NQT about to start work in reception and have a
    question about whole class assessment/record keeping. My apologies if
    this is a silly question. I have an idea but would like clarification.

What
    sort of assessment records do I need?
    (observations and reading record excluded)

For example I will be updating the students eyfs profile books; I have a
    letter and numeral recognition assessment and I also have a maths
    assessment.
    Also I think I should have a list/spreadsheet with <u>all</u>
    the children's
    names on it and the eyfs statements showing if the child has achieved
    it? E.g. statements from CLL and have it highlighted orange/green to
    show ahcievement? I'm thinking kind of APP for eyfs (but using the
    relevant efys statements).

I'm off to have another look in resources
    Many thanks

2. life2teach

life2teach New commenter

Tracking sheets.
    I've found sheets with the eyfs statements. There is 1 for each area (fair enough) but only space for 15 names so I will need 2 for each which makes 12 bits of paper!! ve tried to edit it but its spiling the layout. Does anyone have a link to something similar.
    What do other people use to track the progress of their class?

3. choralsongster

choralsongster New commenter

I keep my whole class stuff on the computer to avoid too much paperwork cluttering up my already full classroom!

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

5. Hi,
    I'm wondering if there is a real need for this extra layer of bureaucracy. Please don't call me unhelpful, as I am actualy trying to help by questioning this. We keep so many records it's important that we don't duplicate without good reason, because everything that takes us away from working with the children, unless it helps us work better with the children, is questionable. I'm wondering what other record keeping you antcipate doing and whether you would in fact have the info you need from that eg learning journeys (or whatever), assessment of work, assessment records from focus activities, reading records, and of course the profile itself if you update that as you go along (not strictly necessary, but can help).
    Just a thought. Ignore if you think your tracking sheets are essential.

6. choralsongster

choralsongster New commenter

Hi Steph2teach. If you inbox me, I will send you our tracker we use in EYs. It is designed to be photocopied onto 2 x A3 sheets per child, and a quick way to assess the children. This tracker moves from setting (if they stay in the same LA) so only needed to be completed once a term/every 3-4 months. It includes all ELGs apart from points 9 in all areas.

7. Msz

8. We use group assessment sheets on a daily basis. As not always do the children work towards the same early learning goal :) we just put the names of the children and comments to identify who has/hasn't achieved with a little more detail if needed for support. We sometimes use whole class assessment if we are observing for particular evidence but find the group ones very useful as we can see difference in groups and move children where needed. I like the idea of having whol class records for each learning goal when achieved confidentially for when completing the profile though may take that idea to the SMT :)

9. life2teach

life2teach New commenter

If it possible to have a copy of your group assessment sheet please?
    Thats what I was thinking about the whole class record; it would help in completing in the profile and I will need all the help/info I cna get being an NQT :-s
    If your SMT do a whole class sheet remember me and send me a copy please! [​IMG] In the mean while Im going to try and create something.

10. life2teach

life2teach New commenter

Many thanks. I have the large poster copy of the scale points which I will keep in the classroom so I know what I'm looking for.

11. life2teach

life2teach New commenter

I found what I'm looking for on the Ealing website, they have very good eyfs resources. I've altered their sheet to what I want so thanks to everyone for their help. I don't want to make more work for myself so it will probably be only a spring and summer term sheet.
    Many many thanks

12. Can you share the link....

13. Msz

14. life2teach

life2teach New commenter

Thanks.
    I did want a class record and ealing gave me good ideas of how to produce it. I created something but will have to wait till September to see if it's useful!

15. life2teach

life2teach New commenter

Yes what your talking about is what I want to do. Use it to inform planning and identify focus points. If my school uses the electonic profile (which they probably do) ; I will update it each term (as suggested by some teachers to keep on top of it) and have 1 highlighted class sheet to see where I need to focus, that way I can look at it whenever I want and not have to go to the PC all the time. If possible could you send me a copy of the sheet you use?
    You say you have a folder with one section for each child and keep "all postit, photos, examples of work, long observations etc"; is this in addition to the children's individual learning journey folder? If so; if you have a folder with the evidence, then what goes into the children's individual folders? Sorry if I misunderstood.
    At my training school they used the electonic profile; had individual learning journey folders (postit, photos, examples of work, long observations) and the teacher had 1 folder with a section on each child that had their numeracy and literacy assessements in. As well as the usual sheet with the highlighted lesson objective to say who achieved....not sure wherethat was kept but I know shehad them.
    It's interesting to hear what other people/schools do because you all have some good ideas. Also I can pinch the good ones and make like easier for myself [​IMG]
    PS. I agree with everyone that knowing the children is the most important thing.