1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Question about the new CiDA course

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by djphillips1408, Jan 9, 2012.

1. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

Family friend has child in year 9 who has been offered the chance to do CiDA next year. School has outlined that the content is to be an exam on unit 1 taken on PC and then a coursework element that is either "creative multimedia" or "game making". I can't find anything on edexcel site about what the new spec is to be as it says "still waiting approval". Can anyone confirm or deny that the outline above is the case?
    Am I also informed correctly that all 3 above plus "artwork and imaging" make up DiDA and that CiDA has 1 GCSE equivalence and DiDA is to be 2 GCSE equivalent.
    Thanks in advance.

2. It really p***es me off when the exam boards wait for BETT when most of us don't get to go.
    I want the info from all of them, NOW if not before. Approved or not, I want the detailed outline to make an informed choice based on their proposals.
    Yes I know it might have to change but not substantially unless they are so inefficient they can't get it pretty much right first time. (cue the sarccy remarks[​IMG] )
    As a previous poster replied the most detailed info for Dida so far is at http://www.edexcel.com/quals/dida/Documents/DiDA-leaflet-BETT.pdf
    I also had a letter in the post today (presumably going to every school) outlining Edexcels offerings/progress on their range of ICT quals. It also states that the L2 certificate (120 GLH) has been submitted for accreditation, Diploma (240 GLH) is still in development. Both should be ready for delivery in Sept 2012.

Quote from a recent email attachment:

3. Woops - its the same doc as linked earlier.
    I think I need to sleep[​IMG]

4. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

I agree with gg52 on this - why wait for BETT?
    I need to put something to SLT before February to get it into Y9 options. Computing is in there, carrying on from a successful launch this year.
    EdExcel AS/A2 Applied ICT and WJEC Computing are both available from September so they stays but what about KS4 (and KS3 to some extent)?

I don't know if we will remain a CORE subject and all students will be expected to get a GCSE or if such a course will be avialable.
    I want to know NOW!