1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

question about the 2 years experience for international schools

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by MFL_teacher, Aug 14, 2016.

1. MFL_teacher

MFL_teacher New commenter

Hi all,

I'm a MFL teacher, who completed his NQT year in the UK. I'm gonna start my 2nd year of teaching in the same school in September. Ideally, I want to leave and teach abroad (China, Germany, not sure where yet) in the next few years, and the sooner the better.

I know there is this "2 years of recent experience" rule to be able to get a job in a decent international school. My question is: Do these 2 years experience need to be finished by the time of applying to int. jobs or can I still apply while starting my 2nd year of teaching and it will still be counted as 2 years experience since I will have 2 years anyway by the time the int. job start?

Hopefully someone can help me about this. Do I have any chance of securing a position if I start applying to good international schools through search associate in October - December this year (will be in my 2nd year of teaching), or should I wait and start my 3rd year of current teaching first?

I tried to do some research on the forum but did not find a specific answer to that.
    Any thoughts/advice would be hugely appreciated.

2. BeckyK8

BeckyK8 New commenter

I started applying for international jobs during my 2nd year of teaching and was able to get several interviews and to secure my current job. So it's definitely possible, although as with all jobs there is always the chance that schools will show preference to candidates with more experience. I recommend just going for it and writing lots of applications, and you should hopefully get something suited to you. Good luck!

3. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

There would be some advantage to having a full two years under your belt. The two years is a guideline and fairly common minimum desire rather than a hard and fast rule. You can apply during your second year but would find yourself qualifying all of your statements about experience (I will have two years experience etc). I don't think anyone can really tell you whether the completed second year would make a huge difference or not (but I am sure you will get different opinions).

One area where it might be very relevant would be that some countries will require two years of experience in order to obtain a visa as a teacher. The timing of you completing your second year might prove a problem depending on when you were hired.

Personally speaking, I went to a job fair in February of my 2nd year and was able to find a reasonable position. In general, I think the jobs open to you as a candidate with two full years of experience (3 at the time you would be starting) will generally be the same jobs open to you as a teacher with 1+ years (2 at the time you would be starting) with a few exceptions.

4. GeordieKC

GeordieKC Occasional commenter

Some countries apply strict criteria that a teacher must satisfy in order to be given a work permit, but in the vast majority of cases schools have considerable discretion. What languages you can teach and the levels you can teach, will be at least as important as whether you have two years teaching experience.

The only way to find out for sure if you will be seriously considered is to apply to schools that interest you. However I expect this year will be similar to last where the level of competition is very high with a lot of good applicants for most positions, so do not expect to get a job offer from every application.

5. MFL_teacher

Many thanks everyone for your answers. It sounds positive and I am more confident now to start registering with Search. Any other thoughts or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Becky and wrldtrvlr, I started a conversation with you with an older account as it seems I cannot start a conversation with this one for some reasons.

6. davidbowiefan

davidbowiefan Established commenter

Rather than asking whether you can get a job overseas with less than two years' experience, you might want to ask whether you should.

You will be expected to hit the ground running and cope in a new culture. Unless you have experience prior to teaching which will equip you to do that, e.g. you have already lived in the country, ask yourself honestly if you could cope.

7. mikemcdonald25

mikemcdonald25 Occasional commenter

As another poster has mentioned on another thread, the Chinese govt. for example is applying much stricter regulations on who they allow in. Many of the old tricks of the trade are now scrutinised much more closely; e.g. you have to have a degree in the subject you are teaching not any old degree, if you are teaching in an English medium school you have to be a native speaker not just fluent in that language, and the two year rule on experience is also applied.

Having said that, these rules are often differently applied in different regions and cities. Many people also don't realise that so-called 'international schools' can often have their own 'charter' i.e. its own set of rules for what it can or can't do.

The op needs to realise that in this growing market (lots of new schools) many of the old guidelines don't apply but in the better schools they often do!!

8. MFL_teacher

Many thanks mike for your input. So if I understand properly the 2 years rule is more of a 3 years rule then for the better schools? As it seems wiser to apply at the beginning of your 3rd year of employment and not the 2nd?

Thank you as well david, I should have mentionned that I am actually originally from a European country, so I have prior experience in terms of coping in a new culture as I have lived in the UK for 3 years now. I am ready to do it again in another country and to discover a new culture.

9. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

i would say get out there and start applying. it can take a long time to get something, and others have suggested, there is no really hard or fast rule over this. start applying now, what do you have to lose?

and good luck.