1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Question about special needs children in your class...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by DavidBrown1, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Not common in every single class but there's sure to be at least one or two in most schools. How much planning you do for them depends on their abilities, this can also depend on the support in the school.

2. I think dealing with children with complex needs in mainstream is never 'impossible', it just is a challenge and for an inexperienced teacher, something that can be very difficult to achieve without support and guidance. Don't forget some education authorities are inclusive and teachers have had to deal with these children for years. Whether the child should be there or not is not really the issue. The child is in the classroom and practicality says the teacher should be asking for training, expert help or time out spent observing similar children in similar schools.

3. Thank you very much to everybody who has posted. I agree that whether the child should be there or not is not the issue, I was just interested in whether this situation was common. I am currently looking into more support and training, as suggested. Thanks again.

4. Unfortunately, as we all know, funding inclusion doesn't interest this government. Closing special schools where a place can cost £30,000 a year or paying a TA less than half of that in the name of 'inclusion'. Doesn't take a brain surgeon to work that one out...

5. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

Your description seems far more characteristic of the last government than the current one.

6. Yes it does and generally no they are not.
    Flame 108 I read several of your posts with increasing anger (not too strong a word) and then read that you currently work in a special school. With the greatest respect, the situation in mainstream currently is NOT as you seem to think it is, or would like it to be. Children with complex educational, social and physical needs are being dumped (yes, dumped) on untrained mainstream teachers and classes.
    Inclusion should be the aim. I have taught several children with specific needs who have benefitted from mainstream and opened the eyes of those children fortunate enough not to have such difficulties. I have also, however, had children in my class (by parental demand, against the wishes of the professionals who cared daily for that child) who have been such a disruptive influence that the education of THAT child AND those in the class has been severely hampered. There are only 24 hours in a day - exactly when are we supposed to learn how to support these children properly? Perhaps there is an easy Dummies guide to that we could use for bedtime reading?!
    I think it is an insult to highly trained special needs teachers AND mainstream teachers to assume that just putting children into mainstream is the answer. I know this is not what you are arguing - but it IS what is happening under the banner of inclusion.
    There is a world of difference between the laudable aim of breaking down barriers between able and disabled and the blind lets just shove them into schools with 'normal' children and all will be well.
    Sorry - I feel so strongly about this. The child concerned above spent one year in our school, with copious time and effort spent to include her. In the end, she returned to special, where she thrives.

7. I'm not arguing with that really. I am just sad to hear inclusion has broken down in this way for some children and their teachers. My own inclusion experience was in a local education authority that was committed to it and put the money in to enable it to happen. Equally, I know my own pupils generally thrive within our special school, have people trained to work with them and have the proper resources for their needs. I would not work in a special school if I was not committed to what it does to develop children. We all know that 'inclusion on the cheap' does not work and is a demeaning way to treat pupils, who should be valued for their presence, not resented.