1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Question about school ads and NQT year.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by zainabdin1999, Aug 27, 2020.

1. zainabdin1999

zainabdin1999 New commenter

When do primary schools start to advertise for January or Easter vacancies?

Also, if I accept a post that runs from October to August (maternity cover), will this mean I've completed my NQT year or only two terms?

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

That two term post would only give you two terms of your NQT year, so you would still need to complete another term in your next post.

Be aware, if applying for maternity cover posts, that the post can end earlier if the postholder changes their mind about when they wish to return - the notice period is usually shorter to allow for this. In particular, if the postholder was thinking about starting back in September, they may well decide to come back on the first day of the summer holidays - which means they get full pay for the summer and you don't. It's a statutory right for the mother to decide when she wishes to return, so this can't be helped; the important thing is that you budget for the fact that you may get no pay in August.

agathamorse likes this.