1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Question about SATs

Discussion in 'Primary' started by icclejen, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Great, thanks!

Reasons for disapplying were prior to the deadline we were floundering between N and 3 barrier. In the last few weeks with practice she has nailed a 3C I think with her bizarre method of answering questions but we are on Easter break till Wed next week so not much time for her to get back in the zone. She won't have a read a thing over Easter I can say for sure!

My concern is more that it make look like she has had support in choosing questions due to her sporadic selection of answers! She will have a reader to read the top sections to her and to keep her on track and before you ask, yes this is normal classroom practice and she does have 1:1 funding at SA+!

2. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

What tests will she have a reader for?

Also, a general question to anyone really. What are the benefits of not entering a child into SATs? I can't see any for a child or school.

3. She will have a reader for Maths and someone with her for the reading. Then she will need someone to transcribe for her for writing and reading. She is sitting in the main room with everyone else as she doesn't have additional time.

To be honest, the onlyreason for not entering a child for their test I think is if they are not working anywhere near the level. We disapplied a child last year who was working at a 2B for reading - it would have knocked his confidence and self esteem into the floor as he had made good progress since moving to our school but it just wouldn't have been fair on him. He knew he couldn't do it.

4. for very low level children the stress of not being able to do anything would be a good reason not to enter- for others this is outweighed by need to do what everyone else is doing

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'd not have a child with a reader in the main room to be honest. It is hugely distracting for those pupils anywhere near the reader. Especially in maths where it is quite easy to miswrite a number heard in the background rather than one's answer.

No advantage to schools at all in disapplying pupils, they still count in the figures. But for children not working anywhere close to a 3, it isn't worth them doing it. Those at a 2a or above should generally have a go.

6. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Not sure if I agree with that. As the lower down the scores the closer the levels are, just 3/4 marks can make all the difference (especially for reading). Plus I would imagine that it is just as much of a confidence blow to a child to not sit what every other child in their year is doing. What would you do with them? Sit them with the year below?

I also wouldn't have a reader in the main room. It will distract the other children.

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I do agree with you for those near a 3. but those working at level one who simply cannot read the booklet in the first place, nor the questions are better off not doing the test. My two are looking forward to teaching year 2 to play a game they have made. They love being in that particular year 2 class so no feel fab about it.

For writing they will be in the room and do the same paper, but I shan't send it off. They have been disapplied and it would really irritate a marker to plough through the utter nonsense that 45 mins unaided writing will produce, all for a B.

For maths I have the top set and so am unsure what the children not doing it are doing instead.

So long as children in year 6 are used to working other classes, which in our school they all are, there is no problem with going for a couple of hours in SATs week. Definitely isn't a confidence blow as everyone else is dead jealous.