1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Question about salary

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by dazzlingdiamonddust, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Hi
    I have been employed by my school for a number of years as a UQT and am at the top of the scale. I have finally been lucky enough to get a place on a GTP course, but have hit a snag.
    My school applied for a training grant only place, but were offered one with salary attached. There is no other option for me this year!
    I was told by school that they were happy to do this as it would mean that they got the salary grant until I reminded them that I was on a higher salary at the moment and couldn't afford to take a drop.
    They have come back and said this will be OK - but obviously if on a salary/training grant my timetable should only be 30% to start with. If I had only had the training grant they would have been happy for me to continue on my timetable as it is now.
    I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth and I have been waiting so long to do this, but I am worried that I will get to September and someone will say I can't do it, or that they can only pay me the training salary!
    I understand that if I was training grant only the school could choose what to pay me dependent on my experience, but if this salary is attached I would only get that.
    Has anyone had any experience of this or know where I can find further information please?
    Thanks

2. Hi
    I have been employed by my school for a number of years as a UQT and am at the top of the scale. I have finally been lucky enough to get a place on a GTP course, but have hit a snag.
    My school applied for a training grant only place, but were offered one with salary attached. There is no other option for me this year!
    I was told by school that they were happy to do this as it would mean that they got the salary grant until I reminded them that I was on a higher salary at the moment and couldn't afford to take a drop.
    They have come back and said this will be OK - but obviously if on a salary/training grant my timetable should only be 30% to start with. If I had only had the training grant they would have been happy for me to continue on my timetable as it is now.
    I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth and I have been waiting so long to do this, but I am worried that I will get to September and someone will say I can't do it, or that they can only pay me the training salary!
    I understand that if I was training grant only the school could choose what to pay me dependent on my experience, but if this salary is attached I would only get that.
    Has anyone had any experience of this or know where I can find further information please?
    Thanks

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

If you have been already employed on the unqualified scale then the school teachers pay and conditions document protects you and requires an annual progress up the scale for satisfactory performance.
    If the school receive a salary grant for you then they have to find any salary difference between what they receive and what they pay you.
    The requirement for most GTP's is that it is a genuine training place and that the rokle should be in addition to the staffing complement.

4. Are you absolutely sure about that welshwizard?

I also worked as an unqualified before starting my GTP, but was told that the P&C document classified me as a trainee during the GTP, therefore I was dumped back down to the bottom of the scale.

I know some people on my course who have retained the UQT salary they were on in the previous year, but that decision was made on a school-by-school basis (and, even, subject-by-subject it would seem ... basically supply and demand).

If you are right, welshwizard, then I may need to speak to my HR officer!!

5. welshwizard

Check the STPCD all teachers employed 26 weeks in the previous 12 months are entitled to apply for incremental progression until the top of the pay spine is reached. If you are employed as a teacher by a school then they would be breaking the agreement to reduce your pay. This applies only of you are directly employed by school or LA and not via an agency.
    It would be different if you voluntarily agreed to reduce pay
    If you are in a Union discuss with them

6. Thanks WW ... I'll dig out the email in which they "confirmed" that either the STPCD didn't apply or it did apply and the wording meant I wouldn't receive the incremental increase (I can't remember which of the two it was now) and then speak to my union about it.

7. Thank you for your responses - not sure if they would apply though - I am at top of UQT payscale and have been for a while so not getting any increments now! And if I take up GTP place then surely my contract would be changed? I would no longer be a UQT rather a GTP? I have been employed with my school for a long time!

8. welshwizard

GTP's are paid on the unqualified scale and if you are currently on the top then you should stay there during training.

9. I was in exactly the same position and just thought I would be on point 1 of the unqual teaching scale until county council sent my contract through to my main placement school at point 6 of unqual and then when my head queried it she was told that was my salary. This went to and fro for a few months (as the school took me on in good faith as a cost neutral GTP student- I was unqual at a high school and am primary training so a diff school) and in the end the county council agreed to make up the difference between point one and point 6. Was v worried about the situation once and NQT but I have been told I can negotiate my salary once on MPS. I hope this is of some help.

10. I don't think I have explained myself fully!
    I am currently a UQT at top of pay scale! Plan was I would do my GTP this September and my school would ask for a training grant only - I would stay part of the teaching staff and only drop a few lessons in line with the GTP requirements.
    I have been offered salary and training grant (and there is no other option - its this or nothing) which the provider wants me to be supernumary - their requirements! Therefore I would be extra to the staff (suppose they could employ someone to do my job which could leave me without a job at the end of the GTP year - but not even going to start worrying about that!) so therefore I would not be earning my salary as would start on a 30% timetable with someone with me all the time!
    What I am trying to find out is can I still claim my full salary as I can't afford a year without it!

11. cupofteacher

cupofteacher New commenter

I am currently doing my GTP and there is someone on my course in the exact same position as you. He 'had' to be supernumary to do his GTP, but was at the top of the UQT scale...the school said they were happy to pay the higher salary if this person were to keep up their previous responsibilities. In other words, this trainee has 2 timetables...one the uni sees which has the recommended hours etc, and the other one is their actual timetable, which is a full teaching timetable.

My understanding is that by doing the GTP you end your contract with the school, and a new one is established stating that you are training, therefore meaning you do not automatically get this higher pay. The school can pay you whatever they want but they have to make the difference up from the money they receive.

12. Which is what I was thinking that I would be doing :) didn't realise I would have a new contract though - wonder if my 15 years of service will be taken into consideration? :)

13. As I said in my initial post - I didn't want, nor did the school, for me to have a salary attached - it was only ever supposed to be a training grant!

It all went wrong when the only thing they could offer me was one with salary attached!