1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Question about Restructuring staff down from Leadership Point

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by EmilysDad, May 11, 2012.

1. Hello, first time poster here.
    My wife is currently on L8 as a director of learning at her current school. From September she will be a Head of Department on a top TLR2 due to staff restructuring on protected pay for 3 years.
    I have a couple of questions I'm hoping someone can answer.
    1 - My wife moved through the promotion route fairly quickly and prior to attaining a leadership point was on M6. I read somewhere that when you leave the leadership scale and return to a mainscale post, you automatically go to UPS1 even if you never went through threshold before. Is this correct or not?
    2 - Whilst my wife is on protected pay can she apply to go through UPS2 (or UPS1 if necessary)? And if so when can she apply for this? She has had successful performance management reviews every year she has been teaching (around 10 years).
    Many thanks.

2. Hello, first time poster here.
    My wife is currently on L8 as a director of learning at her current school. From September she will be a Head of Department on a top TLR2 due to staff restructuring on protected pay for 3 years.
    I have a couple of questions I'm hoping someone can answer.
    1 - My wife moved through the promotion route fairly quickly and prior to attaining a leadership point was on M6. I read somewhere that when you leave the leadership scale and return to a mainscale post, you automatically go to UPS1 even if you never went through threshold before. Is this correct or not?
    2 - Whilst my wife is on protected pay can she apply to go through UPS2 (or UPS1 if necessary)? And if so when can she apply for this? She has had successful performance management reviews every year she has been teaching (around 10 years).
    Many thanks.

3. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

re Leadership to UPS, you have it right, it is automatic.
    Yes, she can 'apply' to go to UPS2, by informing the head she wishes to, no 'application' is required, all th evidence should be in her past PM reviews, if not the school hasn't been doing its PM properly, good grounds for a pay appeal if the request is declined.
    Sadly tho', my understanding of safeguarded pay is that any pay increase will be 'absorbed' by the safeguarded pay until the 3 years is up