1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Question about PPA/NQT and subjects covered

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Vanadesse, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

After going into school yesterday and getting my timetable for ICT and PE, I'm now trying to plan out my timetable for next September for my new class so that I can let the teacher who will be covering my PPA and NQT time what subjects I want her to teach.

She will need to do an ICT lesson because of the timetable for the laptops but I need to pick another 3 sessions. She's apparently the co-ordinator of PE and so I could ask her to teach that for me but I actually really enjoy doing PE, should I ask her to do it because it's her strength or should I stick with it because I enjoy it and, I think, am good at it? She's also said that she could do Science for me if I wish but when my induction tutor told me that she said something along the lines of 'but I don't know whether you'd want to hand something like that over' - is that her implying that as the class teacher, I should be doing that? Science would make sense in a way because it's a stand alone subject away from my theme but I'm not sure whether I should be giving it to her, though she is a qualified teacher so completely able to teach it.

So I'm not really sure what to give her to be honest. I want it to be a discussion in a way, I want her to be happy with what I ask her to do but my induction tutor pretty much said I don't need to do that and should just let her know what subjects I want her to teach because I'm the class teacher. I don't know what to do!

2. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

After going into school yesterday and getting my timetable for ICT and PE, I'm now trying to plan out my timetable for next September for my new class so that I can let the teacher who will be covering my PPA and NQT time what subjects I want her to teach.

She will need to do an ICT lesson because of the timetable for the laptops but I need to pick another 3 sessions. She's apparently the co-ordinator of PE and so I could ask her to teach that for me but I actually really enjoy doing PE, should I ask her to do it because it's her strength or should I stick with it because I enjoy it and, I think, am good at it? She's also said that she could do Science for me if I wish but when my induction tutor told me that she said something along the lines of 'but I don't know whether you'd want to hand something like that over' - is that her implying that as the class teacher, I should be doing that? Science would make sense in a way because it's a stand alone subject away from my theme but I'm not sure whether I should be giving it to her, though she is a qualified teacher so completely able to teach it.

So I'm not really sure what to give her to be honest. I want it to be a discussion in a way, I want her to be happy with what I ask her to do but my induction tutor pretty much said I don't need to do that and should just let her know what subjects I want her to teach because I'm the class teacher. I don't know what to do!

3. I think science sounds like a good one to hand over. It is a discrete subject, so she can plan and cover the whole topic so you do not have to spend time discussing what you have done/or what you would like her to do next.
    Also purely selfishly, PE generates less written work than science and so by teaching PE you would reduce your marking load. As far as I can tell anything that does that during the NQT year is a good thing!

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

It's really good of you to consider the PPA cover person's point of view in this and this may be a way forward.
    I agree Science may be something to consider, especially if it doesn't fit neatly into your topic for next term. Perhaps not all year though- for the future you do need to consider your capacity to demonstrate you've taught across the Curriculum. If they do PE could you do outdoor sessions for example? they do Science first term and something else the next?
    Just random thoughts!

5. sorry posted twice. Lost internet connection.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I would give away ICT, science and outdoor PE, then whatever else you don't want to teach.

Can you give away something like Big Writing, or an extended writing session. These generate huge marking workload, which PPA teachers tend to have time to do and NQTs don't. You could email her your plans for the four days between the session where she teaches and leave her to plan an extended writing session that may or may not link.

You don't need to worry about induction, they know that you don't teach 20% of the timetable so are fully aware that you won't teach all subjects and it is fine. (I've mentored several NQTs and they always worry about this at the start, but there is no need at all.)

7. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

Those are two very good points actually bar23. You've convinced me, I like PE and it's less paperwork, I'm keeping it! I agree Science does make sense, it's not a problem me handing it over though is it? I think I will give her Science, as she seems to want it, but as Lara said, not for the whole year. As she's taking the afternoons, is it worth giving her some kind of extended writing session or do I stick with foundation subjects? I might have a look at my timetable and see what I can fit in and if there's any other subject that needs to go there.

8. RE is another easy subject to give away, along with French or PSHE units.