1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Question about pay...

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by SexyChicken, Mar 9, 2016.

1. SexyChicken

SexyChicken New commenter

Apologies if this is not the right place to ask...

I went from MPS 5 to the AST scale. I left the UK to teach abroad (due to my husband's non teaching job) and will return this summer. I'm currently looking at jobs and wondering what pay scale I would be looking at if I didn't take on a Lead Practitioner role. Would having been on the AST scale equate to UPS? If so, which point?
    Many thanks.

2. Proyector

Proyector New commenter

I am in the same position. I'm not sure how teaching salaries abroad would be viewed in the UK. I imagine that they wouldn't pay you less than what you are currently earning in the school you are teaching in now. This is of course if your salary is reasonable. I know of a friend teaching abroad on 4,500 a month net. Of course it is unlikely that a school in the UK would pay that for a classroom teacher. However I'm sure it is reasonable to request what an equivalent teacher would earn in the UK for the same length of service. Perhaps state your current salary on the application form and see what they say at interview.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Oh dear!

You are not going to like my answers here, either of you! :(

No, because there are no longer national pay scales in England and Wales. :(

Not necessarily, because there are no longer national pay scales in England and Wales. :(

As there are no longer national pay scales in England and Wales, with progression according to length of service, this does not apply. :(

No more Pay Portability, no more pay scale, no more automatic moving up the scale.

And you may like to read some more news which will not be very welcome. :(

Returning to the UK after teaching abroad

Best wishes

wanet likes this.
  4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Actually, given that even before the loss of 'pay portability' schools in England and Wales were not obliged to recognise service overseas, there was rarely a time when your assumption was the case.

They'll offer what they're willing to offer. If you're the best candidate but there is a good enough second (and third, etc), they might not even offer more than MPS1.

wanet likes this.