1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Question about Lessons

Discussion in 'US – Staffroom' started by virginia_keith, Feb 7, 2018.

1. virginia_keith

virginia_keith New commenter

I am very new to this site and have been creating Lessons. I was wondering if there is any way to create folders or organize all my lessons? Thank you.

2. fredvasco88

fredvasco88 New commenter

I am also interested in this question) I am also new and haven't created any lesson yet

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

How I would do it. I teach Chemistry

Look at the topic being taught. Look at the timescale you have available to teach it (How many lessons/hours available).

Break the topic down into chunks. I chunk per lesson (Don't forget time for assessment)

For each lesson you should have the objective you are trying to get across as your starting point. eg The reaction of an acid with metals.

Each lesson needs something to get it started. In the UK we call this a starter but I think you call it a bellringer in the US. This should be around 10 minutes. It could be a video clip or a demonstration.

Then you need the meat of the lesson. Activities designed to allow the kids to learn the content and skills of the lesson. Depending on the subject this may be paper based, ICT based or practical.

The last part of the lesson should be some sort of plenary to pull it all together (5 minutes) This could be a quick assessment of learning.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. bikermum39

bikermum39 New commenter

This is how I do it. I also have a (non see through) box in the back of my room of little things eg packs of questions, comprehension, maths etc that I can use if for extension work if I ever need it. I call it my ‘OFSTED READY’ box as you can guarantee the one time the kids get through all the work by galloping along is when you are being observed!

5. DC1346

DC1346 New commenter

My district requires us to submit lessons via Curriculum Engine. For my personal use, I write an overview for the week in Word and then save it in a folder which I label as Semester 1.Week 1 etc. The folder goes inside another folder labeled "Lesson plans 2018-2019).

Since I teach Culinary Arts, I then have sub-folders in each week's lesson for Culinary I, Culinary II, Culinary III, and 8th grade. Within each folder I put in worksheets and recipes as needed.

My overview is basically just a matrix with the headings: Culinary I, Culinary II, Culinary III, and 8th grade going across the page from left to right. On the far left I have the days of the week, Monday, Tuesday etc.

I've been doing this for several years now and have a lot of lessons to draw upon. Lesson planning for me now largely involves cutting and pasting lessons in Curriculum Engine and then doing the same in Word.