1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Question about interview activity tomorrow

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by JessicaRabbit1, Mar 6, 2016.

1. JessicaRabbit1

JessicaRabbit1 Senior commenter

Hi there

I have an interview for a Level 2 TA position tomorrow. The letter states that I need to prepare a 'Teaching activity' in the form of a 15 minute mental maths game to a small group of children. I have the game all sorted but am just wondering if they are looking to see me actually 'teach' anything first? I had planned to do the usual introduce myself, learn their names quickly, explain the activity and then get started but now I am questioning whether I should be going over the skills they will be using in the game first ifyswim? (Number bonds)

15 minutes is no time, and I had planned, after we've finished the game, to spend a few minutes talking about the strategies they used to help them. So not sure if I'll have time to do anymore than explain the game but I do think that if I did do an intro/teach then it would help me figure out what they know.

I am a teacher but this is my first TA interview - help!

2. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I must be seriously out of date! I thought that the role of the TA was to support the teacher and reinforce the planning that the teacher did. Even where a TA is left in sole charge of a group, shouldn't the planning be provided by a teacher?

3. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Many TAs plan interventions and group activities.

jlishman2158 likes this.
  4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Is it part of their job description or just an extra task/responsibility foisted on them to save money?

5. JessicaRabbit1

So just thought I would update - I did do a little intro/teaching and I got the job!

lidine and jlishman2158 like this.
  6. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Only just seen this thread .... congratulations, JessicaRabbit!! Competition is seriously fierce today, you must have done a brilliant job. Hope you are celebrating tonight!

lidine likes this.
  7. JessicaRabbit1

Thank you - it was fierce. 4 of the 8 candidates were internals!

8. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

Congratulations. It was fierce if there were four internal candidates.
    Jubilee - I gather you are not working in a school any longer because yes, " afraid you are seriously out of date." TAs are expected to plan some of there group work. HLTAs are expected to plan the lessons including whole class. They may be given outlined planning but not lesson plans.

9. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Is it actually part of the job description. I ask because I know a recently retired TA who was given ever more responsibility in her last 3 years (taking classes instead of a PPA teacher, for instance) despite it not being what her job description covered. She was paid very slightly more per hour for those sessions and that involved a lot of time and hassle claiming the extra pay.

10. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

That depends on the school and the individual. She should have asked to gain HLTA Status. I took classes for about three or four years before. It shouldn't have been a hassle I am contracted. Even when I was a split contract it wasn't a hassle. I think she has been "used."(

11. CassiaJaneK

CassiaJaneK New commenter

Hi Jessica,

Congrats!!

I'm in same boat. I've got an interview in Monday and this is all new to me. Any first timer tips? Ive got to prepare a 20 min table/carpet activity with 6 kids. Looks like it will be for Year 1! Thanks in advance ;-)