1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Question about housing allowance in AD

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Training_2_Teach, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Training_2_Teach

Training_2_Teach New commenter

Hi guys,

I need info on the following points:
    <ol>[*]Will it be fairly easy to find a place to live in this allowance? 11,600.00 AED (&pound;1,965.82) p/m[*]What kind of accommodation can I expect? In what areas?[*]Does the school give you this as a full amount to cover both rent and utilities?[*]Will the school give you this payment upfront on arrival or do we have to wait till the end of the month?[*]Will the school help you find the accommodation?[*]Is 13, 698.00 AED (&pound;2323.32) + 11,600.00 AED (&pound;1,965.82) p/m housing allowance) a fairly decent salary? <table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" class="ucc_in"><tr><td align="right" class="rate"></td><td align="center" class="rate_equal"></td><td align="left" class="rate"></td></tr></table></ol>

2. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

Never having been to AD, I cannot be of help with questions 1,2 and 6. I did, however, want to be the first to point out that only the school itself will be able to answer questions 3,4 and 5 (unless admin. from the school happens to be posting here, which I will grant is possible). [​IMG]

3. Are you having second thoughts?!!! I think I've said my bit elsewhere... maybe you'll find the positive answer to your posting that you've been looking for! (I doubt it though)

4. pixel

pixel New commenter

www dot abu dhabi woman dot com

5. Training_2_Teach

Yeah kinda having second thoughts as not many other jobs out there will finance a couple with non-teaching spouse and dependant. Just getting more info to get an idea if it will be worth while.

6. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Seems decent enough to me, but then again it's been a long time since I was in that part of the world for work (rather than passing through which I seem to do regularly).
    I didn't get where I am today wondering what life's all about

7. Training_2_Teach

Does anyone have good links to well known estate agents in abu dhabi?

8. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

www.gulfnews.com
    Look in the classifieds section.

9. pixel

pixel New commenter

Please see the website I suggested above.
    Landlords expect the full year's rent in advance and things can be tricky with a monthly allowance. You might need a loan for the full amount and use you allowance to pay it back.

10. Training_2_Teach

Employer's must surely know of this and should help their employees if they want to keep them. Will the school give you the loan?

11. Training_2_Teach

Employer's must surely know of this and should help their employees if they want to keep them. Will the school give you the loan?

12. MisterMaker

Certainly wasn't the case when I was in the UAE. I had no problem finding typical rent (getting deposit back was a problem, but that's the same the world over.
    It was a long time ago, however, and things change, but I wouldn't expect full year's rent in advance to be the case with all landlords.

13. Your basic salary is average in Abu Dhabi, but your housing allowance is double what I would get from my employer. All schools work out the allowances differently, so you need to ask them exactly how it would work.
    From what I can gather, a lot of landlords require 4 - 6 postdated cheques for the year's rental, so it is possible to pay the rent with your allowance being paid to you monthly. However, it might require opening a bank account first, for which you need a NOC (No Objection) letter from your school. It might be that you have to live in a hotel/serviced apartments paid for from your own funds for the first month. There is no hard or fast rule (about ANYTHING) out here - so ask your school to clarify their situation for you. Despite your best efforts to sort things out before you get here, often nothing happens until you are officially in the country.
    Hope that helps a bit. Good luck!

14. MisterMaker

This chat about rents has reminded me of how I got my deposit back from the estate agents when I left UAE.
    I was fortunate to have been teaching some of the higher level royals and the Shiekha I knew well gave me her private number 'in case I ever needed help'. Anyhow, I didn't call her, but dropped her name as a 'friend' when complaining to the estate agent. Miraculously the cheque arrived in full very soon after.
    It's the only time I can remember name dropping with intent, but just goes to show it can be useful to know the right names to drop when necessary.

15. Very useful website, even for blokes!
    Will be moving out to AD September and when I have a question I generally do a Google search and find the answer there!

16. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

Short answer NO. When I was there this time last year in exactly the same position 2 bedroomed apartments off island (Khalifa City B or C) were AED 250,000. Meaning that you would need a car for definate!
    So I left to return to Europe - much better option for me plus better school than the one I was at in AD!!!

17. rosyanna

rosyanna New commenter

Rents have dropped significantly since last year and are expected to drop further as more newly built apartment blocks come onto the market. A friend of mine recently moved into a brand new building, on island [19th St], 2 beds, 2 bathrooms, wardrobes, lovely pool on roof, underground parking , for dh 133000.