1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Question about G&T students

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Findlotte, Oct 25, 2016.

1. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

All the schools where I've had responsibility for this have told parents the label is temporary for the year and simply means we are doing something extra for their child in class (and usually out of it too) this year in XYZ lesson. We are also clear with parents that this doesn't mean they would be outstanding at a different school or even in a different class.

2. caterpillartobutterfly

Yes

3. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

He got quite a lot, one way or another

4. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

This really annoys me. 'Gifted' and 'talented' imply something really quite special, something out of the ordinary. One is not 'gifted' at art for one year only.

I agree children may seem amazing at something when very young then others catch up (reading would be a classic example IMO), or develop a talent later on, and thus the list may need updating. But to actually tell parents it's for one year only just shows how pointless the whole thing is. Sounds like standard differentiation only is needed if you ask me!

We've been told children can't be 'G&T' in writing if their spelling isn't up to scratch, because of the new y6 assessments. Thankfully this means most of our G&t writers aren't anymore. This is excellent news, fewer children to waffle about extra provision for at pupil progress meetings.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

We phrase it as being reviewed after a year.
    Similarly those on the SEND register are reviewed at least yearly.
    I see it as a very similar system and ideally would have the same person responsible for both.

I'm sorry that it annoys you, but it has worked really well.