1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Question about euthanasia

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lurk_much, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

As law is a human construct, affording some "thing" the protection of the law is an abstract form of anthropomorphism. Thus, we are protecting animals not because they are sentient beings but because we are humans. Hmm maybe I need to leave this forum on a Sunday night.

2. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Yeah, it's all about us, and our discomfort with the process of death. A nice vet with an injection makes it all safe and comfy. (Maybe I need to step away from the forum too.)

3. Believe me I am sure there are many people who will testify that they just wished they could have helped someone they care about die with help and dignity.

4. Doglover

Doglover Occasional commenter

It's not about us at all Mandala. Pets deserve to die humanely and with dignity, in the same way that we do.
    If you had to die, would you rather be shot in the head or given a lethal injection? What if the person is a poor shot, and the animal doesn't die outright?
    I certainly could never comtemplate committing such a violent act against a beloved animal. You might as well ask me to shoot my husband or my sister!

5. mandala1

I'm not sure I'd care. I think I'd prefer a loved on to be involved though....
    What if the vet is **** at his job????
    I think I could. I might see it as the ultimate act of care.

6. njs1999

njs1999 New commenter

You suspect it has severe renal failure? Then do the decent thing and take it to the vet. Surely they'll advise as to what will be best for your cat, i.e. treating it or if things are that bad, injecting it and putting it to sleep.
    I cannot believe that you are even contemplating whatever methods to kill it yourself at home. If this is a loved and cherished pet, then do the responsible thing and have it put down humanely, i.e. an injection.
    Obviously I'm no expert on this, but I'd have thought anything powerful enough to penetrate the cat's skull would make a mess - not a nice way for a pet to go!

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

I'm sorry to report that this thread has made me giggle. I don't know why, since I've loved the animals I've had in my care.

8. njs1999

njs1999 New commenter

Didn't realise my comment was so funny.
    Care to share?

9. kareneliot

kareneliot Occasional commenter

Tough one. You don't hear the bang, so it won't make you jump. That coulld be better than rolling my sleeve up for a bloke in gold-rimmed glasses to shoot me full of sodium pentobarbital as used in US executions. Actually the injection might hurt more.

10. Doglover

There are protocols and procedures in place, to ensure the vet doesn't do his job wrong.

11. mandala1

Good

12. Thank you Doglover. I am in complete agreement with you.

I was not going to comment on this thread - actually makes me feel physically sick.

13. Vampyria

Vampyria New commenter

Agree. Furthermore the risks associated with this type of injection are practically zero. This is a profession euthanasia, after all. Usually the animal is sedated first prior to the actual injection.

14. mandala1

Sounds so cold. Not sure it's I would want at the end of my much loved pets life. This thread has really made me think about alternatives.

15. Doglover

Shooting them doesn't sound cold, then?

16. mandala1

I don't see the difference. I honestly don't.

17. I want to hold my pet when it dies. Even if I was an expert shot, i still would not do it.