1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Question about Bunsen burner safety...

Discussion in 'Science' started by georgepwalsh, Apr 10, 2019.

1. georgepwalsh

georgepwalsh New commenter

Please could Science teachers confirm if it is better for a student to sit or stand whilst using a Bunsen burner.

If anybody could signpost me to any printed advice on this topic, even better.

Thank you in advance for your help.

2. averagedan

averagedan Occasional commenter

Stand. Always stand.... The easiest way to get out of danger is to take a step back from the equipment - if you're sat down this isn't possible. If they're sat down they're leaning/reaching to a greater extent, chemicals/Bunsens could end up in their lap, etc. There's also a good chance that anything resting on a Bunsen is above their goggles, which is also not a great idea as if it spills it can go over the top of the goggles, etc.

I'm not sure you will find something this basic/obvious written down anywhere, if I remember correctly CLEAPSS do have basic risk assessments for stuff like this which may include this info?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    msuxg likes this.
  3. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Not just Bunsens. Anything to do with hot things, liquids, corrosives, reactions, dynamics - really anything you might need to get away from. Stand for all of them. What @averagedan and I have posted is a Risk Assessment. Anyone (knowledgeable) can write a RA!

averagedan likes this.
  4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Any practical activity that requires moving around should be done standing up.

5. Teslasmate

Teslasmate Occasional commenter

As above, pupils must stand for practical work.

6. hephelumps

hephelumps New commenter

Always standing for practicals with bunsens and any chemicals for that matter. Chairs tucked under and standing behind them.

7. ajrowing

ajrowing Occasional commenter

Maybe they are trying to do the world a favour?

It seems obvious to me that one should stand for every practical, but I wandered into my Head of Faculty's lesson earlier and what I thought was obvious was not.

8. mrswallow

mrswallow Occasional commenter

Stand.

blazer likes this.