1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Question about an Exploring Science worksheet

Discussion in 'Science' started by susiejay, Feb 29, 2012.

1. susiejay

susiejay Administrator

Hi all,

Just have a quick question about a worksheet from the Exploring Science 9 resource pack - 9Jc(2). It is about the electromagnetic spectrum and has a table to fill in:

The first column they name the parts of the EM spectrum, second column asks how much of that type of radiation gets through the atmosphere (there is a diagram at the top) and the last column asks how the different types of radiation coming from space can be detected?

I don't know if I'm over thinking it or what, but I can't find any info on the work sheet or in the text book which explains how the different types of radiation can be detected??

Any advice greatly appreciated!!

S

2. I would echo the previous response. Each part of the EM spectrum can be detectedin different ways. Unfortunatley a lot of the detectors are just that 'detectors' that respond to different wavelengths.
    This could be an opportunity for some 'independent learning' ie: pupil shave to find out, using different resources, how the different parts of the spectrum are detected & what they are used for.
    To summarise:
    gamma rays & x-rays do not get through the atmosphere. If we want to detect space sources of these rays we put x-ray or gamma ray telescopes into orbit (Chandra telescope?) & collect radiation outside the atmosphere. On earth, we detect X-rays on photgraphic film & gamma rays with gamma ray detectors.
    Ultra violet: some objects fluoresce when they are exposed to UV, so you could say these objects 'detect' UV. Some photographic film is sensitive to UV, some photovoltaic cells may be sensitive to UV too. Some insects are sentitive to UV - they 'see' in the UV.
    light: photographic film, our eyes, the CCDs on cameras etc
    Infra red: thermometers, other types of photographic film, our skin can also detect IR (we feel hot). Food 'detects' IR radiation - it gets hot & cooks.
    Microwaves: depending on the wavelength, there are different microwave detectors. Food in a microwave oven will 'detect' the microwaves & warm up. I think these are about 3cm long. Mobile phones detect longer wavelengths - about 12 cm ( but others on here may have more accurate information on this).Sometimes your radio detects microwaves (you get a buzzing / interference sound while you listen to the radio). This is particularly common if you leave your mobile phone near the radio.
    Radio waves: A radio wave detector! Or the ariel on a radio.

Not sure if I have addressed your question - apologies if there is too much or the wrong sort of detail.

3. susiejay

susiejay Administrator

Fabulous thanks guys! :)