1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Quest for ?Welshness? is ruining our children?s education

Discussion in 'Cymru - education news' started by Geoff Thomas, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Lead commenter

So you are promoting your own blog?

And you are claiming to be part of "the silent majority"?

You are the noisiest silence I have ever come across.

And, just for the record, Welsh is a "European language"

2. Oh no one even cares. You persist in posting and promoting these ridiculous articles from YOUR OWN website, but I haven't seen a single person here that agrees with you. Let alone that hardly anyone looks at these forum. Just give up.

,In reference to this specific article? It's misinformed and stupid, much like some of the commenters.
    The 'Welshness' and 'Yorkshireness' argument is not convincing at all, as the two cannot properly be compared.

As for the bit that says: "My husband, the patriot, decided that sending our child to Glan-llyn was just a step too far when they teach climbing through the medium of Welsh. He wants to know when they will be having French, German or Spanish camp." I don't understand the point they're making here? Why on earth would a French, German or Spanish camp be expected? I mean, I'm sure it would be great, but this is Wales. What is at all strange about having a camp in the medium of Welsh. Start a French camp if you want, but don't complain about the Welsh one! Glan-Llyn is great, and if this man thinks it's somehow less worthy than a MFL camp, I really question that he is really "a patriotic Welshman"
    If they want their children to learn climbing through the medium of German, then GO TO GERMANY. I'm sure there's no shortage. Pupils don't learn Welsh at the expense of another MFL; in fact being already bilingual is helpful in learning another more conventionally useful language.
    Welsh is no less valuable than French or German in the grand scheme of things. These people should be happy that their children get the enriching experience of learning another language from the first year of primary school. But no, they choose to just whine on the internet about it.

Sometimes I wish the silent majority would just hop over the border and leave the rest of us in peace. Go be whiny and "silent" somewhere else.

3. What MalcolmBreen said...... :0)
    Falle dylen ni creu wefan o'r enw gogwatch-watch.com, i ysgrifennu am, a chyfeirio at bob erthygl mae nhw'n ysgrifennu. Mae gen i loads o ystadegau i brofi unrhyw safbwynt, o gwbl, ar unrhyw ochr unrhyw ddadl. Anecdotes am athrawom **** hefyd, loads of rheini 'da fi!!

4. The hundreds of comments on Gogwatch - especially those from parents and teachers - appear to differ with your views.
    Perhaps you just do not like the fact that silent majority in Wales are finally waking up to what is going on in Welsh education?
    We're not going away.
    Have a pleasant day.

5. Very well put I have to say :). I have three young children and live in North Wales. They are 3,7 and 8 and I have to say that when my 3 year old comes home from nursery and can count not just in English but in Welsh too I am totally amazed. At the Christmas play they even sing a song purely in Welsh. This starts at age 3, how good is that! When they move on and go to high school they will have the advantage and ability to adapt this to a more common language if they wish. Oh and next week both of my girls are off to Glan-Llyn for an overnight trip and they cannot wait.

6. I am English myself and have lived in Wales for 10 years. I would never have understood the point or benefit of teaching Welsh either until I had children of my own. Now for your child, at the age of 3, to be able to count to 20 you are amazed yes? OK now add that with the ability to count to 10 in Welsh! Its purely fantastic. The fact that Welsh is not a overly common language is irrelevant. There is proof that learning two languages at a young age will help you to learn more as you get older. If you life in Wales or are Welsh then what better than to keep some tradition. It would be a sad sad world if everywhere was identical hey and pretty boring ;-) Oh and I have to say.... Wales is a Country and Yorkshire is a County...so yes measuring Yorkshireness would be odd :-/

7. Hundreds of quotes? How many different posters? Despite flooding the Internet in this cowardly way, you clearly hold a minority perspective.

8. darkness

darkness New commenter

Yr wyf yn eithaf hoff o'r syniad o gogwatch.com. Fy teimlad yw gogwatch yn dod o'r lleiafrifoedd ddim mor dawel,

9. Hundreds of comments?.... from a handfull of people!.....

10. Holi
    Afon Taf</u>

Wyt ti&rsquo;n siarad Cymraeg?

Siarad Cymraeg?
    Ydw , bid siwr,

Dysgais yr iaith pan oedd fy nwr
    Mor glir a'r grisial, a'r brithyll llwyd

Yn gwylio rhag cael ei ddal mewn rhwyd.

Wyt ti&rsquo;n siarad Lladin?

Siarad Lladin? Fe&rsquo;i dysgais, do,

Pan ddaeth y Rhufeiniaid i fyw i&rsquo;r fro;

Milwyr yn cerdded o fan i fan

A chaer y gelynion ar fy nglan.

Wyt ti&rsquo;n siarad Ffraneg?

Fe ddysgais Ffraneg, mae&rsquo;n siwr gen i,

Pan ddaeth y Normaniaid o Normandi:

I fyw yn eu castell, i dywyllt gwaed

Ac i sathu&rsquo;r Cymro dan eu traed.

Wyt ti&rsquo;n siarad Saesneg?

Siarad Saesneg? Ers cyn co.

Daeth yr iaith gyda&rsquo;r ffatri a&rsquo;r llongau glo:

Llygru fy nwr a duo fy mryd:

Lladd y brithyllod llwyd i gyd

Beth glywi di heddiw?

Ni chlywais ddim Lladin ers llawer dydd,

Na Ffraneg, chwaith; ond y Saesneg sydd

Yn uchel ym mhobman. Ond tra fwyf byw,

Bydd Cymraeg, gobeithio, yn ber yn fy nghlyw.

11. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Lead commenter

I, on the other hand, have had cause to use English, Polish, Russian and German today. French yesterday, too.

Only a few short conversations in Welsh, apart from the two hours in Welsh class yesterday.

What is it with monoglots that they have such fear?